Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Life After Bushfires

Fizz
Bushfire Community Ambassador

Demand for mental health support doubles as Rural Fire Service members hit hard by disaster

Demand for NSW Rural Fire Service (RFS) mental health and support services more than doubled following the Black Summer bushfires of 2019-2020, with more than 3300 members seeking assistance.

https://the-riotact.com/demand-for-mental-health-support-doubles-as-rural-fire-service-members-hit-h...

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Demand for mental health support doubles as Rural Fire Service members hit hard by disaster

I have had over a decade of experience trying to help other trauma survivors by asking for funding to set up a charity. Last year during the marches for Aboriginal Australians I was inspired to give it one more try. I came up with a model for Trauma centres south of Sydney to the Victorian border. So far, the politicians like it and I intend to get the community involved in making my dream come true. It is exciting but terrifying because it hasn't been done before. What do you all think? I am interested in people's ideas. If I can get these centres built I intend to set up more across Australia.

Re: Demand for mental health support doubles as Rural Fire Service members hit hard by disaster

Coming up to the 3rd anniversary I still don't have answers.

I was at Conjola when other trucks burned and people were lost. I did many shifts during that time.

I was deliberately excluded from an AAR/debrief because others who were very ill informed from brigade and higher management decided it wouldn't be good for me.

I've been denied any access to debriefing notes after repeated requests.

I still am unsure about people we were tasked to rescue, but couldn't find, other crew incidents, shifts, the fires and more.

To date, still nobody from brigade or higher even called just to say Gday or to check on how I'm going.

Recently there were media articles where local volunteers got together to celebrate their achievements during the fires, have medals presented, and tell their 'war stories'. I got my medals when picking up a damaged package at the local Post Office, no invite, no chance to participate in anything else.

Services and support systems like CISS and Chaplaincy have been inept and in several cases, not even returning calls or emails!

I'm still having nightmares, have been hospitalised, and have many unanswered questions from that time. I feel like a pariah in my own community and am still mourning the loss of what was a big part of my life serving in many roles for over 20years!

Hey @GentleGiant 

Just wanted to say thank you for sharing your experience here. Most of us likely cannot even imagine the extent of what you have been through and the level of devastation and trauma experienced.

There is no doubt you played a hugely important role in the community throughout your service and I am so sorry that you are left feeling like a pariah. The role you played is surely one of the most courageous and selfless roles there are. 

Thank you for all that you have done, we are glad that you are here to share your story 💜 

O I hear you! My son is also in the Rural Fire Service - 11 years. The lack of support astounds me! I find I need to sit down with him after every fire and just check on him and allow him to verbalise what happened out there and more often than not an angry captain to deal with. 

It saddens me that as first responders in a very dangerous job do not have the support they so desperately need. 

How are you now? My son is preparing for another fire season, and we are told it could be bad again this year with lack of rain and three years of flooding causing the undergrowth to grow out of control? 

We live in NSW and have a wonderful Chaplin that has helped my son immensely. However, my son does not like to ring him too often and tends to try and deal with it himself. 

If you ever need to off-load, I am here to listen. Trauma is a very difficult emotion, and it can be debilitating. 

New to the

Life After Bushfires Forum?

Chat to people

who have been through it

Register To Connect

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Life After Bushfire Resources: