Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Cheap healthy meals

Last night I used half packet of Basa portions $6.50 pak ... with our salad and bacon ... iceberg lettuce spinach cucumber and lightly cooked leek, baby bok choy, broccoli and cauli.  Son loved it and said keep the salads coming with aioli ...

So I vary the warm salad ... sometimes chicken, egg, lamb, even mince ... 

Glad you are not letting change in employment and finance depress you too much.

@Former-Member Heart

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Cheap healthy meals

I had not thought of warm salads @Appleblossom have looked up some recipes and there are some really nice looking dishes which I intend to try.  Merci beaucoup.

Re: In a jam, pickled, frozen, well preserved and other culinary triumphs

@eth hope you don't mind me tagging you on the carer side. Often for presents I like to give a recipe with  ingredients (sometimes non perishables only) using the cooking or serving dish as the basket. 

Bit like this:

images (6).jpeg

Following on from Friday feast I think I am going to make some home made caramel sauce and chocolate syrup and put together some 'Banofee meringue' dessert packs.

To keep it easy for the recipients I will team the sauces with some bought meringue cases, cream, a couple of bananas.  The people I will give them to don't really need any more serving plates so to keep cost down I might just use a small bbq style foil tray to pack them in. 

@Smc @eth

Have just made this choc syrup recipe. When I added the vanilla it tasted more like uncooked cake mix, is cooling now so will see what it turns out like. Do either of you have a recipe? 

https://www.kitchentreaty.com/homemade-chocolate-syrup/

PS saw another recipe for condensed milk caramel where can was only boiled for an hour.

@Former-Member, sorry, not something I've made myself. The only choc sauce I ever made had cream in it, and as well as being perishable it was kind of invented on the run.

Thanks @Smc now it has cooled it has thickened and I think tastes ok. Might see if someone who will give an honest opinio n will do a taste test for me.

@Former-Member

https://www.donnahay.com.au/recipes/desserts-and-baking/dark-chocolate-ganache

If you want it to remain fluid just use more cream.

Thanks @eth  👍

Choc sauce turned out heaps better than I thought it would and friends gave it the 👍. As I used cacao, it has a slightly bitter taste but I am more than happy to use in gift. I also made a caramel sauce with cream, that passed the taste test but looks like a little has split at the bottom of the jar.

hello @Former-Member , @eth , @Smc , @Appleblossom  @jovial 

In a jam, pickled, frozen, well preserved and other culinary triumphs love to hear more xxx

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance