Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: In a jam, pickled, frozen, well preserved and other culinary triumphs

Fish butter and basil for tonight ... and ....

Cheers All

Heart

Smiley Happy

Fish butter and basil for tonight ... and ....??? @Appleblossom 

sounds interesting xx

Vegies Bella ... woteva my son throws together.

Heart @Shaz51 

sounds sooo good @Appleblossom Heart

In the last month I have dried some chillies. I made a big casserole and as well as having a meal that day froze the rest in individual serves (x10). Other times I have made extra and have done the same -  fried rice (x2) and some meat balls (x2).

what a great idea @Former-Member , i will have to start doing that too xx

I find freezing things in single portions to be helpful @Shaz51 , this applies to both savoury or sweet. 

have to get myself into gear more ways than one @Former-Member 

Ummmm... maybe I should tell what I've been doing with quinces and oranges? 🙂

The quinces were given to us by a friend who'd run out of time to do anything with them, so I made jelly and sweet pickled quinces. The latter are a tangy sweet preserve that's yummy with meat. I had a few left over which I combined with the pulp from oranges I brought back from my parents' place to make an orange and quince jam. One jar of each has gone back to the friend who gave us the quinces.
The orange pulp was from windfalls that needed to be used quickly. I strained off the juice (it was like orange nectar, mmm yum!) and that left me with 3 x 2l icecream tubs of pulp. I've made a lot of it into homemade icy poles, adding a little bit of cream and sugar to the pulp and using the Tupperware icy pole moulds. I've also made a couple of orange cakes... I still have 2-3 litres to use up. Orange "gelato" is one plan, I want to try using some in a rich fruit cake, and maybe with what's left I could make orange and passionfruit jam? (Bought some passionfruit cheaply today.)

The pulp has been in the fridge for about 2 1/2 weeks, but still seems to be fresh enough. Maybe because it's so acidic.

@Former-Member, I try to keep a stock of home cooked frozen meals in the freezer. I usually don't end up with more than 4-6 at any one time, but that means there's something there when it's needed.

I started getting more intentional about it when I was first doing the long trips up to Mum and Dad's place on my own, with Hubby foundering at home over meal prep. But they've also been so good to fall back on if I've been unwell, or we're just too tired. We'd used them all up recently, so I've restocked over the past two weeks or so. I think there's a tuna mornay, a spicy chorizo and veg casserole, "speck and vegs" plus mashed potato, and one or two tubs of soup at the moment.

Planning on making a sausage casserole tonight (which I should get started on) and there will possibly be enough of that to freeze half.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance