Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Cheap healthy meals

When grocery shopping today noticed in the deli, chicken breasts were $1.50 kg cheaper than prepackaged in meat dept and drumsticks were half the price of breasts.  I already have some chook leg recipes I can cook in bulk and freeze into meal portions so plan on doing that. 

Sounds good @Former-Member

We're going to have a fish pie tonight. I bought smoked cod back at Easter time when it was cheap and put it in the freezer. Cooked two pieces in herbed stock last night and put it in the fridge ready to use tonight.

I'll roughly dice and boil the "Odd Bunch" spuds I bought today, they'll go in the bottom of the dish.

Flaked fish, grated "Odd Bunch" carrots and zuchinni, parsley, capsicum, maybe a few other garden greens, and something lemony (I don't think I've got a lemon in the pantry so it might be Lemon Verbena leaves instead) over the spuds....

And a Bechamel sauce using the grated parmesan I bought very cheap and froze some time ago over the top, then finished off with some breadcrumbs made from stale bread.

Dessert will be the Oreo icecream that was reduced to $1.95/1.25l because the lid was broken... 😄

Former-Member
Not applicable

DIY coleslaw on menu for tonight to go with home cooked fish and chips as I want to use up some fresh cabbage and not waste it.

That sounds like just the menu for tonights menu.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @jovial

Do you enjoy cooking? On this thread we look at ways to eat healthy but also keep the grocery bill down.

Hi Darcy.
Just joined. Thanks for the thread theme. Love cooking!! There is nothing like a heaty meal to soothe the savage beast. I think that is an old saying.

Always grow what every I can to supplement the meals
Former-Member
Not applicable

Welcome aboard @jovial you will find a number of threads about different topics. You may find other carers who have loved ones with a similar diagnosis to the person you care for and we are more than happy to offer support and answer any questions if we can.  You can start your own thread too.  If a picture is posted it will appear as a red triangle until the moderators have cleared it (I've put one in so you can see)  If you want to specifically tag someone, start with an @ and add their name (as I have done with you).  The last few people who have posted on the thread will come up as auto suggestions.

Back to calming the savage beast - I have found at times food to be equally, if not more so as effective as music.

images (8).jpeg

Former-Member
Not applicable

Been really pleased with efforts so far in reducing the grocery bill. Have been intentionally making use of the fresh veg and ensuring none goes to waste.

Keeping meals healthy is the challenge, noticed if we don't get a prepacked salad for lunch that we often don't have veg during the day and Mr D does not get the adequate fibre he needs to keep constipation at bay.  He doesn't mind a salad constructed at home - variety is the issue. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance