Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

shrub98
Casual Contributor

Need advice

Hi everyone!

I've recently wanted to start losing some weight as I have family history of hypertension and diabetes, and especially because of covid my physical health hasn't been a priority for me. I've struggled with disordered eating and body image issues in the past and I'm really worried that starting a weight loss/health journey will set me off again. Does anyone have any advice on taking care of my health again without becoming obsessed again?

8 REPLIES 8
Gwynn
Senior Contributor

Re: Need advice

I'm currently on a bit of a health journey myself with weight loss and exercise, and trying to do it in a healthy fashion. When I began, I considered what would be my early warning signs that things were going off the rails in terms of disordered eating and exercise. Thus far, I've experienced only one, (oops I forgot to eat a meal) and it's easily remedied. For me, strength training has been a real boon in that I can focus on what I can do now rather than how I look. I'm lucky in that I've been able to use my NDIS to access an exercise physiologist, but you should be able to see one through the GP referral program.

@shrub98, I know the stiuation all to well my friend, I have struggled with my weight all my life and gone on to many diets to count. Try something like this, start with positive self talk and write down all the great thing you have achieved. With exercise start off with little steps Rome wasn't built in a day if you know what I mean, for example if you have only 1 hour a day for exercise, if possible get up as early as you can, try to see the sunrise and go for a brisk, if you can find a friend or family member to go with even better. If you have any resistance equipment at home such as weights, resistance bands etc, so you could break your week up with 3 days walking and 2 days resistance training. If you can do your exercise early in the day, it help increase your metabolism and help with your sleep at the end of the day. When it comes to diet for me, reduce your portion size of your meals, if you can get your 2 friut and 5 vegetable portion per day even, because fibre is your friend. This is worked very well for me in the past my friend, best luck, don't give and there is all was hope for you out there shrub98.

Warm Regards

Haystacks

@Gwynn I am hearing you loud and clear, I start doing strength training back in 1983 and it has been my go to ever since, even though my life could be spiralling out of control and in a very dark place, strength training has always been my go to and it always will be. It improves your focus, gives your life purpose, gives you a sense of achievement, you get positive endorphins, it has saved my life. To me it has been the best therapy for me, enjoy the journey Gwynn.

Warm Regards

Haystacks

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hey @shrub98 Heart I've heard great things about the Butterfly Foundation in supporting people affected by eating disorders- they might be able to give some good advice?

All the best 🌻

Thank you and good luck on your journey too!

Thank you for the advice haystacks! I'll be sure to incorporate some of those tips 💓

Oooh I'll check them out, thank you!

Yes
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance