Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: What Do Carers Want

hello and hugs @Over_whelmed , @Sally , @VCS , @Tryingmum , @Appleblossom 

how are you ?? , hope you are ok my friends xxx

Had a little creative spat at the hospital today trying to get them to sort themselves out in writing a medical certificate for my son.  So sick of me being patronised or talked down to or given the flick. I tossed over my shoulder how "sorry I was for them" in their poor over work.Cost me an extrta 5 bucks parking to go in person to sort all the delays going on over a week.  I was naughty I had a little tap dance 30 secs  worth and asked them to be competent.  SO sick of my family getting the bad rap re who is capable/ functional and who is dysfunctional.

Being assertive.

Smiley Surprised

Thanks Shaz51 for your thoughts - doing okay here.  My Mum has just recently had surgery for a second tumour after having her first cancer diagnosis last year.  This time around has not been as fraught, but it's still hard - if she doesn't stop smoking then her cancer will continue to recur (it's a major risk factor) and she may potentially end up having chemo.  I am grateful however for the the care from the hospital and that they are conducting regular check ups to make sure she's okay - I am struck by the vast difference in the quality of care that she is currently receiving for her physical health issues as opposed to her mental health.  I am still very upset with her psychiatrist and threatened to sue his practice the last time I spoke to them some time ago seeking help, as it strongly appears that they care very little about their patients - they certainly lacked any empathy during my interaction with them - and he only seems interested in funding his own retirement - every couple of months the psychiatrist seems to be on holidays for months at a time, and all the clinic is doing is getting the receptionist to hand over scripts to their patients.  You could reasonably assume thst I'm biased - however, I note the number of adverse reviews of his practice on Google and elsewhere where others have labelled him as uncaring and only 'in it for the money'.  I repeat - there is no accountability for suboptimal care in the mental health system, and it's a disgrace.  But enough of the rant.  Things are going as well as could be expected.  My younger brother lives with my mother and helps out a little which helps.

Trying Mum, I would suggest that you ask the GP for a mental health plan and referral for your daughter to see a psychologist and/or psychiatrist.

hello @Sally  and sending you lots of tender hugs my friend   Hello @VCS , @Over_whelmed , @Tryingmum , @outlander , @Razzle , @Former-Member , @Sally , @nashy 

next tuesday night we have a topic tuesday called

Topic Tuesday // When caring for parents // Tues 24 Sep, 7pm AEST

Thanks for the tag @Shaz51   I’ll jump on the Topic Tuesday thread now so I can get the reminder 👍👍

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance