Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Tarvie
New Contributor

Hi my name Tarvie I have bipolar and I'm finding it hard to motivate myself to do anything, does anyone have advice. It's that bad that I can't even s

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Hi my name Tarvie I have bipolar and I'm finding it hard to motivate myself to do anything, does anyone have advice. It's that bad that I can't ev

Hi @Tarvie and welcome to the Sane forum. 

I do not have bipolar but can relate to finding it hard to motivate myself to do anything.

I just set myself small goals, even if it just brushing my teeth or having a coffee. Just small things to achieve.

Just a note, if you want to tag a member, just put a @ in front of their name.

Take care

Re: Hi my name Tarvie I have bipolar and I'm finding it hard to motivate myself to do anything, does anyone have advice. It's that bad that I can't ev

Thank you, I've never thought of starting small as I didn't think it was enough. I'll keep you informed with my progress

Hello @Tarvie 

I don't suffer with BP I have Co-Morbid medication resistant depression and many many times been lacking any sort of motivation. On one occasion I didn't have a shower or brush my teeth for a week. I found the thing that helped me the most was a daily list. The list was the same for each day but I had to do at least 3 items on the list every day and the items I chose from the list had to include hygiene.

e.g shower, brush teeth and hair, vacuum, wash dishes straight after eating and go for walk.

So I would automatically have to choose shower, teeth/hair plus one more activity that was different from the day before. Once I accomplished 3 items everyday for a week I would increase it to 4 items. Don't get me wrong it's not as easy as it sounds but I worked very hard at it and I won.

It might not work for you but isn't it worth giving it a go. You don't lose anything if you can't make it this time, you've just got to keep trying, that's the important thing.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance