Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Wilber
New Contributor

Partner in NH

Hi, I'm 62, hubby of 43 years (anniversary is this Thursday) is 65 and in full time care with younger onset Alzheimers for the past year. The NH just came out of lockdown after 14 weeks, I had 2 visits then they went down again. I'm devastated. He can't use a phone, doesn't understand video calls, and window visits stress him out. Lonely. Sad. Sooky. Anyone out there in the same boat? 

1 REPLY 1
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Partner in NH

Hi @Wilber 

Welcome aboard.  

My sister works at an aged care facility and she tells me how hard it is on the inside for a lot of the residents.  I cannot think of anyone on this forum who has a partner in a nursing home which is why I suspect you have not had a response.

There are however a lot of shared feelings that carers have, no matter the diagnosis. Living grief is one of them - the losses we have in relation to shattered dreams,  powerlessness, guilt, sadness, frustration etc.

Looking after our own well-being to enable us to live as well as possible in spite of any diagnosis is the goal. This does include allowing ourselves time to grieve.

I will tag you in a couple of self care threads that may help. Do you have any interests? We have a number of social discussion threads which are helpful and where people are understanding when we don't get as much done as we would like. We also have some threads where we try and encourage each other in areas where some support is needed such as decluttering and home maintenance. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance