Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Dec's Guide to the Night Sky for Amateur Astromomers - including Melbourne weather

Hi @Ali11 @Shaz51 @utopia @outlander @Mazarita 

The title of this thread includes Melbourne Weather - and we are having it right now - cold, grey, gloomy and still and - yes - the icing on the cake is - guess what - it's raining

I really don't find this time of year my favourite though we have had some brilliant days this year - our autumn was fantastic

The night sky - yes - I have taken a walk after sunset to try and find Mercury, Venus and Mars in the evening sky but I have been too early - they are too close to the sun and the sky as been too bright - but I did see when I went out on Sunday night was truly beautiful

The full moon was rising and right beside it was Jupiter - and because they are opposite the setting sun right now both were brilliant

It's taken a couple of days to get around to posting and the moon has past being full now but Jupiter is rising after sunset and Saturn is right behind it and very bright too and worth a brief walk outside to see

Dec

Re: Dec's Guide to the Night Sky for Amateur Astromomers - including Melbourne weather

@Owlunar . I was wondering what that star was near the moon.  Jupiter. 

Thank you. 

Thanks @utopia 

That was really bright wasn't it - 

Last night the moon had moved away from Jupiter and now Antares is clear - it was really cold - too cold to wander around outside looking for stars and planets but the Scorpion is overhead in July - and so creeping up the sky in the early evening - and last night it was near the moon - tonight it's Saturn's turn but that's not as bright as Jupiter thought the moon is waning now - it's interesting to see if going outside doesn't freeze our fingers off - 

Last night - Yes - I had to put my bins out - talk about the sublime and the just plain ordinary - and the sky had cleared briefly after heavy rain during the afternoon and again - more rain this morning and now - #Here we go round the mulbery bush# weather

Tonight Mercury and Mars are close together but might be too hard to see even if we get a clear sky - they are setting before 7.00 om so they are very close to the sun but If the weather is cooperating I will take a walk to see - it's worth the effort of going out in the evening - but not everyone feels that way

I'm glad I could help Utopia - keep your gloves on though - it's nippier in Central Victoria

Dec

I'm a smoker @Owlunar  and I only smoke outside  - in my backyard,  so I always (clouds permitting)  get a good view of the moon.

I have my super warm dressing gown and slippers on every evening.  Keeps me warm while I moon gaze. 

Okay - @utopia 

At least you get out into the fresh air to smoke - and see the sky - clouds permitting - i used to smoke - I couldn't pay for that and a mobile phone so the phone won

We have light polution in the city too - I had a great time looking at the sky from my balcony in Canberra - that was a wonderful holiday - I can hardly believe that was 3 years ago next month - time flies

Winter - it's not my favourite time of year - strange then that autumn is

Dec

Your descriptions are mesmerising @Owlunar. How have the views been lately?

@Owlunar, I know you are away at the moment , but love to hear more xoxo

Hello @utopia , @outlander , @Gazza75 

@Owlunar 

I forgot to tag you into the craft thread, but, this seems like a good spot to show you my latest little diamond painting.  Hope you like it 🙂 Heart

planets final.jpg

Hi @Gazza75 

What a pity - I missed that tag - and I remember what I was doing back then - I was getting ready for 2 weeks in Cairns and that was a time worth having

And I am still enjoying my memories - I won't be going away again for the foreseeable future. 

Anyway

@Gazza75 @Shaz51 @Ali11 @utopia @outlander  - I actually have a couple of photos that my new camera helped me produce - three planets have been in what is called conjunction or alignment for the last few weeks and so let's see how the photos look here. I took them early in the morning - it was worth getting up and going outside with my phone to take the photos - astronomy is my passion and last year was not a good year - with the weather and the planets being too close to the sun - this year is better

Great - the moon is not full but there was a lot of wispy cloud around the area and there are a few stars there - part of the constellation of Sagittarius - they just make the picture pretty. The three planets are below that - Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. I'm not sure how they will look when they are posted in the site but let's see because I have another one

Dec

Bewdy - I am proud of this shotBewdy - I am proud of this shot

Wow @Owlunar  xx 

What camera do you have ?

Hello @Gazza75 , @utopia , @outlander , @Determined 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance