Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Denv12
Senior Contributor

Uses For Old Windows 7 Computer Case?

As my 2012 computer desktop with windows 7 has been damaged (lightning strikes) I am trying to figure out what to do with the pc case.Is it worth getting the computer case refurbished into a new computer for windows 10 computer for internet use? The old hard drive is still in it.I did buy a disk enclosure last week.I hope I can data transfer.Its sitting at my computer table.I have about $350 to buy another computer.Using a mobile phone online really tests your patience.I am to suggestions.Thanks.Regards @Denv12.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Uses For Old Windows 7 Computer Case?

Hi @Denv12

I am replying as I like computers but can't say I'm an expert at all. I am happy to provide you with some ideas as I know fixing a broken computer/searching for a new one can be a pain!

A computer case isn't worth much, the expensive parts are on the inside which are probably toasted as you mentioned lightening strikes.

For $350 you may not be able to find a new desktop pc but there are some new laptops online around this price point. There are also retailers that sell 'refurbished' pcs which are basically second hand ones that have been tested,cleaned etc. for sale. If your old monitor works, you may be able to hook it up to a laptop - have two screens.

It's also worth considering whether you want to buy from a shop - easier to have someone to talk to if you need advice or a problem - or buy online.

There are lots of second hand pc's on gumtree etc. but a bit riskier buying second hand as it's unlikely they'd accept returns.

Apart from gumtree, trading post etc. you could do a google search for "laptop under $400" and "pc under $400" and see what you can find.

Happy PC hunting!

Re: Uses For Old Windows 7 Computer Case?

Hi @Bezak482 .Thank you for help.

Thats some good options there you mentioned.I figured the case needs to be gutted before anything gets added.I couldnt begin to try to buy the parts myself.

There's a lot of new desktops and laptops out there.I keep trying the shops.I am still tempted to buy the Asus laptop my friend has.Its got windows 10 on it.He had a good shop do it.

I guess a refurbished pc is a good option from a reputable shop.Saw several on ebay.I would love to buy a desktop case ready to plug in to use.

I appreciate all your suggestions.Thanks again.Regards @Denv12.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance