Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Ferret3123
Casual Contributor

BPD problems

4 year ago I ended a reply bad relationship. I couldn't tell you all the details because we'd be here for hours otherwise but it was a turmoil of emotional and mental abuse. I love him but he didn't love me he knew and was I knew he didn't and was cheating on me but I didn't care. My the time 4 years was up I was tired of it and ended it. Over 6 year later and he sent me a message last night stating that he was going to n his life if I sent go back to him. He's done this in the past and it's for attention when he doesn't get what he wants but I ended up breaking down it didn't help that I had just polished off a whole bottle so to say I was a mess is an understatement. I hate being single and did debate going back to him but part of me says I'd be going back to a horrible suitation and this time with a 6 year old (not his child btw that's another traumatic relationship story) my mum doesn't understand and just kept saying just be happy with yourself. Of course I snapped (arhh alcohol the curse of spokeness lol) and said that's not how borderline works and that she would know that if she just read or look it up anywhere. I've tried telling her that to that threat that got to me but the emotional pain he caused me for four years and still thinks that's ok to do to do ( I'm use to that threat by other friends so)  I've tired showing her articles an books I've tried explaining stuff to her but to no avail will she listen. She refuses to acknowledge anything valid I say and I'm sick of it. How do I get her to listen me so I can explain BPD? I've tried telling her that I'm trying to be happy with myself and that I'm not spending $300+ on therapy to be the therapist friend but she thinks I'm spending $300+ playing with sand and drawing. ARGHhhhhhhhhhh

Sorry bout the long post I needed it off my chest before therapy today lol

1 REPLY 1

Re: BPD problems

Hi @Ferret3123 ...I hear you. It's not good that you got a blast from the past last night from your ex. It's even worse that your mum won't listen to you about your BPD or do any research on it. I can relate to that, unfortunately. 

@Ferret3123 wrote:

I've tired showing her articles an books I've tried explaining stuff to her but to no avail will she listen. She refuses to acknowledge anything valid I say and I'm sick of it. How do I get her to listen me so I can explain BPD?

Do you think she's maybe in denial about your BPD? I'm afraid I don't have any ideas or suggestions - I think there's actually nothing you can probably do, as I've faced this myself and nothing works. I've thought in the past that they might be ashamed of me and can't face the shame, maybe...who knows? Or some people just can't deal with mental illness, so maybe that's it... It could be a whole host of reasons. It's a pity, for you and for me and anyone else in this situation, but we have to live with it. 

I hope your therapy appointment goes well today @Ferret3123 .

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance