Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Eden1919
Senior Contributor

Can I ask everyone a question?

Well I want to start by saying I am only seeking to understand other perspectives and I want to do so, so that I can make sure I am using the forums in a way that is most productive for me and others. I feel everyone’s opinions are completely valid and while I am aware I have my own strong views I am not intending to push them onto anyone else. 

why is it that negative experiences of the mental health system are taboo on here? I understand trying to facilitate and encourage help seeking but is it not discouraging to those trying to get help here by sharing their very real and unfortunate experiences with perhaps the only other people they may ever encounter who might actually ‘get it’? 

It seems that anytime anyone mentions a negative experience with the system on here they have to preface with ‘’this is just my opinion’’ or some other way to say they are not criticizing the system beofre posting their experiences to avoid the post being taken down or told they are saying something wrong. No one is asked to say that depression was only bad for them and it might be fine for others..... why do people need to defend their experiences only when they are negative? No one has to say I had a good experience but you might not.... 

I am not trying to say we don’t need to try and be positive about things where possible but it can be very invalidating when something bad did happen to you and you are made to feel like it doesn’t matter because it didn’t happen to others so you can’t voice your frustration because no one wants to know about bad things. It often feels dismissive and upsetting because having a mental health issues means you are constantly fighting to have people believe you and take you seriously when you have a concern and shouldn’t a mental health forum be a place where all people with mental health issues feel welcome and validated ? It sometimes feels like being a minority of a minority. Is it really fair that we only post about good experiences with the system just because that is what people want to hear? 

I am genuinely confused about this issue so long as discriptions of experiences aren’t graphic why is it that there is always a warning. We are all capable adults who can evaluate information and come to our own conclusions about what is good for us but is not not fair to be allowed to hear both sides of the story? I get community stuff is hard but it is really a community if not all members are allowed to have their say? 

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Can I ask everyone a question?

It's a fair and reasonable point and question @Eden1919 .  I don't really have any answers, but, do share some of your concerns.  As you pointed out, people do it to avoid having posts being taken down.

I don't think 'outside' people really undsertand how hard it can be unless you have lived and dealt with some of the issues people have faced.  It's fairly easy to give advice, it can be much harder to follow and implement.

Thanks for raising this topic @Eden1919 

Hi @Eden1919 Smiley Happy

As @Gazza75 said, thank you for starting this thread. I think you are not alone in your expressed sense of confusion around articulating negative experiences with the mental health system on the SANE Forums. People have had horrible and incredibly traumatic experiences in the mental health system and this is never OK! We at SANE Australia do not want the voices of these people to be left unheard and/or these people to feel alone. From an organizational standpoint, the SANE Forums 100% wants each of our forum members to express both their collection of good and bad experiences. However, such expression of experience must be done in safe, respectful and anonymous ways. In this light, posting negative experiences with the mental health system is definitely allowed on the SANE Forums, so long as it is in line with our Community Guidelines - these being specifically designed to ensure that the SANE Forums community is open to diversity in experience and is safe for all (e.g., is not defamatory). It is for this reason that we suggest prefacing one's negative experiences with the mental health system with statements such as, "in my experience..." We also encourage prefacing one's mental health suggestions (i.e., positive experiences in the mental health system) with an acknowledgement that it is one's own experience.

I hope this helps to clarify your concerns @Eden1919! If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel more than welcome to email team@saneforums.org.

Kindest,

Amour_Et_Psyché

All in my opinion of course but I agree, and further to what you've brought up some of the posts on this forum are quite upsetting and disturbing to me yet they do apparently conform to the guidelines.  Additionally some of the guidelines regarding what can and can't be said contribute to stigma.  I find myself making or responding to a post and then deleting it because I'm second guessing what I'm saying and wondering if I should check the guidelines.  So I don't post.  Just my personal experience.

Hi @JT and others.

Some members may be unaware that the Community Guidelines were developed in consultation with members and that – from time to time – revisions are made. It's concerning that you believe that something in the guidelines perpetuates stigma – maybe you would consider telling us more by emailing the community managers at: team@saneforums.org ?  

People sometimes experience difficulties working out how to post within the guidelines and we really wish to emphasise that the moderators and community managers are here for to work with you on this. Again – do get in touch via email if you think that might be useful for you.

@Eden1919 

I totally agree and appreciate how sensitively you asked the question of forum users, mods and managers.

I can be triggered by overly positive posts, but thats just me, I feel they are in denial, and then people might be upset about what I post and I am unsure ...

Sometimes an angry post at the system gets through, and I usually dont have a problem with them and mostly feel sympathy. It is tricky when supporting a person in anger on the forum.  We dont know the whole situation and the anger can become inflamed rather than validated and recede.

I can get quite het up when I think of the many times "the system" failed my family. Or how many times I have helped individual workers, more than they helped me, though they are paid and get credit of a career pathway.

It is probably going to be an ongoing issue, balancing out the needs of the individuals and group values. Good to bring it up.  I am concerned about the pro meds trend, and would prefer more balance on that issue, but meds make money and some forum funds come from pharmaceutical companies.  

@Eden1919  Very valid thread. Personally, ‘the system ‘ has failed me. No need detailing the issues , it would be too triggering to write, and to read. But very much hearing you.

Hi @Appleblossom ,

The SANE forums are largely funded by the Australian Government Department of Health and you're right however that SANE Australia does receive funding from a number of other sources. Among these other sources are pharmaceuticals companies which represent a small part of SANE’s funding (in the 2018 financial year this was less than 2%).

SANE Australia will remain independent of the actions and views expressed by pharmaceutical companies and currently it doesn't appear that any funding from this source has been directed towards the forums. Members who experience some disquiet at the thought that some funding comes from pharmaceuticals companies may be interested in reading the following infomation that outlines SANE's stance on working with Pharmaceuticals Companies: Pharmaceuticals Policy. 

Hope that helps – a bit!

I am like @Maggie  I feel like I have been let down and left floundering like a fish out of water most of the time. I really don't want to write anymore as it is too triggering and makes me just plain sad.

@Gazza75 @JT @Appleblossom @Maggie @Amour_Et_Psyché @Eucalypt  thank you all for your replies. and sorry if i missed someone. 

I do agree with the point that some of the guidelines can be stigmatizing for certian things not in the sense that they actively premote stigma but they can make you feel like you are bad or wrong or should be ashamed for having certain issues. 

@Appleblossom  I also agree the heavily pro meds stance is uncomfortable. they just dont work for some people and it is GREAT if they do work for some but it makes it super hard for others to not feel invalidated when the advice being thrown around is just take more meds/keep trying meds. i feel like it could be great to have a space to talk about alternative options or just to not have to talk about meds at all. of course within the guidlines but i feel the guidlines are a bit biased on that regard. as you said meds make money and regardless of sane's stance or sponsorship the funding for reshearch and addverts all go to where the potential for money is so the research makert is saturated with drug options and non drug options are not often investigated as much so the policy of "proven effective" re reccomendations is biased in that way. 

@Eucalypt @Amour_Et_Psyché I understand the phrasing is important but I find the bit that is invalidating is that nearly everytime someone says something negative about the system a moderator will reply with a message that kind of reads like " nobody panic this person was a one off the system is fine and you shouldnt worry about it because there is no chance anything bad will happen so please dicount the last post" and while i understand it is important to make sure everyone feels comfortable, it is like you are a teacher correcting a child instead of allowing other adults to make up their own mind. it feels patronizing and dismissive. it feels like the moderators are picking one kind of comfort for one group over another. I am NOT saying they are choosing sides but it can come off that way..... 

i hope my explanations made sense.... I am not meaning to accuse anyone of anything just pointing out how some things can be percieved and of course it is hard with perception and intentions on the internet as you cant hear tone of voice, body language and such. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance