Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Lise07
Senior Contributor

Hospital without Private Insurance

Good evening everyone,

As of late (and particularly last week) my SH/SI has become a bit out of control. Today my psychologist said that I could consider going inpatient for a little while, and think of it as a "break".

I've never done this before and was wondering how it would work when I don't have private health insurance. I could get it, but I know there's usually then a waiting period of a couple of months before accessing services. I don't know if that will work. I'm worried I'm not unwell enough to be admitted into the public system. I'm publicly functional most of the time and don't intend/plan on ending my life, but when I'm in a bad state I'm reckless and don't really care how dangerous I'm being.

Does anyone have any insight?

30 REPLIES 30

Re: Hospital without Private Insurance

Hi @Lise07 

You are correct as far as. I know with private. Public system should assess you and then admit you if. Needed. Your. Pysch should be able to. Give you a reference I would have thought. Better to. Go. In sooner rather than later in my opinion.

I. Can't write much now, but hopefully others. Can. Assist and make suggestions.

Take care and wish you all the best  ❤️❤️🌻🌻

Hi @Lise07 ,

im not sure what state you live in. It’s different in different states. The ndis has changed things a bit. Before there were mh respite places that anyone could attend without cost. Most of them are now only for those with ndis funding but it’s possible there are still some that are for general public. 

As far as going into hospital it can be really touch and go. I have had mh respite in hospital in a short stay ward. Because of the funding changes the demand for those is incredibly high. 

As @Gazza75 said you could try and see, but you have to be actively suicidal to be admitted. Sorry I’m not sure exactly how they determine that really 🤔. For a few years I would sh in a dangerous way and was was admitted until I was medically cleared then sent home. Some were life threatening requiring being in the ICU. After too many attempts and sh episodes part of my mh plan was to go to the ED of the local hospital before acted on anything and I was admitted to the short stay ward. It was just time out in a safe place really and to let the emotions pass (and to have meds to help that happen with supervision). For some of those admissions I went through my community health team (same as CATT) and they did the assessment and organised a short stay. 

Recently that process has been pretty much not an option as the demand for places is too high but also because that behaviour has reduced significantly. The thoughts not so much but acting on them have reduced. I’m not sure if this helps. Good luck. I hope it quietens down and isn’t so dangerous. It’s a difficult place to be in. 💜🤗

Thanks @Gazza75 and @Teej.

I admit I felt a mixture of reassurance and panic reading your responses.

That's exactly the problem, isn't it - I don't have a plan. I have zero plans; I have a thousand plans, always churning through the back (and often front) of my mind. I find myself simply intending to hurt myself, but when I start I cease caring what the outcome might be.

I have an appointment today with a GP to get a psychiatrist referral. We'll see what comes out of it.

I'm currently in Melbourne, by the way.

Hi @Lise07 ,

You could ask your GP about getting a mental health care plan.  As Teej said it varies from state to state, but, it should give you 10 free psychologist sessions.  I'm not sure how the NDIS has changed things in regards to hospital admittance.  I am in NSW near a fairly well populated area. 

I was admitted involuntarily, I was taken to hospital, assessed and then placed into a mental health care unit for a few weeks.  I was manic, I wasn't suicidal at all.  I found it very diffucult at first as I wasn't prepared at all.  In public system you weren't allowed to take in a phone or any kind of device that allowed you to communicate with the outside world.  Private is different in that regard.

There is a thread I have participated in with a friend called Doglove around going into hospital that you might find useful.  It discusses private vs public and also goes into some things you could consider taking in with you if you do go down that path.

To hospital or not to hospital 

Also the Coping Box might give you some ideas about self care.

Oh, and to add to all this I strongly considered getting private health insurance a few months ago for this very reason, but ultimately didn't because I couldn't be bothered and didn't urgently need it at the time. Ergh!

@Gazza75 I'm already seeing a psychologist once a week - he was the one who suggested it as an option.

Hi @Lise07 . I think if you can afford private insurance it would be worth it, make sure you get a good cover for psychiatric care as I know there is a big difference in what the policies cover. Even if it won’t cover you now and things continue at least you’ll be able to access it then. 

@Gazza75 The way the NDIS has affected the mh system in my state has more to do with mh  NGOs who used to offer good quality mh respite and support services to all, but now can’t as their funding model has changed to ndis. This means that people who don’t qualify for ndis because their condition isn’t permanent or meets the requirements are now ending up much more unwell in the public hospital system which isn’t coping well with it. Public health systems are struggling with it all.

@Lise07  I know this is easier said than done but if you do try to reach out when the urges to sh are high it might help. I know services like lifeline are hit and miss but have helped me before as has the SANE helpline and using the forums. If you are really struggling ringing the mental health triage number (CATT) in your state might be needed. I have a really good understanding of starting sh and not caring about the outcome. It’s something that still haunts me a bit. 

Im wondering if anyone living in Victoria knows what public health systems there are.

i hope this helps. 💜🤗

Hi @Lise07. Wondering how you're going today and how you went with the GP yesterday?

Thanks @CheerBear for checking in.

I think I'm probably worse overall each day. My partner (with my consent and help) removed all the dangerous things in the house on Tuesday night, but I find myself scrambling for alternatives. I'm finding it difficult to concentrate because of thoughts and it's making me insanely tired, but I don't really FEEL anything...except occasional pangs of guilt at potentially worrying people or letting them down. It's like my own internal warning system is broken and here is a self-destructive golem taking over my brain.

I saw the GP yesterday but told him the minimum amount because I just wanted to get a referral and get out of there (I don't have a regular GP). I had assumed I could see the psychiatrist really quickly because that has been the case in the past (it was a very new practice when I started going), but now I'll have to wait until next Friday. That's still fairly quick, I realise, but earlier this year I could get in to see him the next day.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance