Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Serenitynao
Casual Contributor

Inability to find work and family dependence.

So....Yeah....Just need some outside opinions on this please...

Background: I've been struggling with some fairly debilitating mental issues since I was 14 (currently <30,>25). During this time I dropped out of high school and isolated myself for 3 years before going back, pursuing a bachelors, and then a graduate diploma and masters, which I finished about 1 year ago. I have had some (less than 3 months) paid work as a research assistant and done several internships throughout my studies my marks are avg>75%.

Problem: As of right now I've left the house about once per week over the last 6 months. I am looking for work, but am largely unsuccessful in these pursuits. If I had to estimate I would say I spend about 5% of my time looking for and applying for work. 95% of my time is spent just passing time I guess...Its sort of like what prison would be like... I don't hate it. I am supported as my father (who isn't very well off I might add, mid level public servant, wants to retire) pays my rent and I receive welfare (and previously scholarships and student welfare). I live alone, its not cheap. Am I being a dickhead for not being more proactive regarding my mental health? Personally I see finding work as the missing building block towards good mental health, I would like to get a job and then pursue greater overall wellbeing. I am aware that my head might be working against me however, so I made this throw away to get outside opinions. Ideally I would like to follow plants and use cannabis for my mental wellbeing, of a night time, once I find a job, rather than "medication". Cannabis is what enabled me to get control of my emotions at 17 and return to high school as a mature age student, I can't currently afford it and I don't use it when I'm not leaving the house however. 

Possible plan/course of action (goal of finding a job): Honestly I don't know anymore. Give up, wait for dad to die and buy small apartment with inheritance (yes I know this is pathetic)?

Thanks for any shared experiences/tips or theorising a strategy with me. I can't afford mental healthcare and this won't change unless I am classified as disabled which would require mental healthcare.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Inability to find work and family dependence.

@Serenitynao I can relate as I have had mental challenges and it has affected my ability to get work too. I am looking for a job at the moment.

Have you linked in with a one of those not for profits that provide help with skills and getting a job? I went to one years ago and it helped a little with practicing interviews.

Try not to be too hard on yourself about your housing situation!

Also, have you considered volunteering to help get you back into the workforce and out of the house?

I'm on some meds which keep my health in check (especailly good for anxiety) with only major side effect being some weight gain.

Good luck

Thanks Bezak, I am trying not too be hard on myself, its just hard when you know how much $$$ you are draining from someone because you are struggling to do something you should be able to. I should pursue more volunteer opportunites, you're right. The not for profits are something to look into as well. I hope we can both find something fulfilling for work, I feel like I studied for 8 years too have had 3 months of work once....

@Serenitynao , I'm in a similar position to you. Have you tried looking into lived experience research assistant roles? Thus leveraging your MH issues as an asset?

@Gwynn No, I have not. That is a very interesting avenue I had never even thought/heard of. I'm assuming it would be completing qualitative interviews with people? 

@Serenitynao, Yes, or helping them fill in surveys about how they felt about stuff. You might like to do a google scholar search for lived experience research to get started and find some universities which are engaging in lived experience research. I know ANU and USyd have done some.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance