Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

Mildly freaking out.

I had a doctor's appointment, but I couldn't make it. I asked for it to be done over the phone instead.

The number on my system is incorrect, so I gave them my new number, and they said that my doctor will call me.

It's been a whole hour now and I haven't heard anything!!!! I am trying to call the clinic, to make sure they didn't call the wrong number, but I just keep getting put on hold. I got in easily the first time I called! What the [...]?!

My doctor has told me that if I can't attend my appointment and she can't get through to me, she will call the Police to check on me... so I might be on hold until the Police arrive! 😱. That would be bad, because my family don't know I have Depression, and they would freak out more than it's warranted.

Is it normal for doctors to be this late, or for clinics to be this hard to reach?

EDIT: FINALLY, on the NINTH [...] attempt, I got through to the reception desk. They said that they have the correct number, she's just really... REALLY late. It's so early in the morning, how is that possible? Regardless, though, it's under control.

EDIT 2: LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, we have hit a mark of great distinction! I have now waited for three hours without being seen! Forty minutes ago, I was told I was the next in line...

EDIT 3: After waiting four hours, I just gave up and asked for a new appointment, tomorrow.

I guess I can turn this into a general thread. What experiences have you had with trying to get appointments for your own condition? Rant below 😊.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Mildly freaking out.

Hi @Former-Member 

I am glad you got through to your doctors. Hopefully you don't have to wait much longer for your appointment.

My doctor runs late too, even if it is in the morning.

I have a pdoc appointment today through teleheath and am freaking out too. I hope the pdoc rings me or sends me an email. I know my appt. isn't until after lunch but still freaking out and causing me anxiety.

@Former-Member @Snowie My GP and pyschiatrist always run an hour late when they are on time and 2 hours late when they are late 🙃

My psychologist is always on time and rarely is 5 mins late. She has 3 clocks in her office. 
I hope next time you are able to make contact , get assessed and have concerns addressed in a timely fashion. 
It's very stressful and stress producing waiting with health problems to address. 
I have lowered my expectations many times over to cope with medical systems. 
To avoid frustration I tell myself the story how that I am fortunate to live in a big Australia city and have easy access to medical services compared to many million people worldwide. 

@Snowie wrote:

Hi @Former-Member 

I am glad you got through to your doctors. Hopefully you don't have to wait much longer for your appointment.

My doctor runs late too, even if it is in the morning.

I have a pdoc appointment today through teleheath and am freaking out too. I hope the pdoc rings me or sends me an email. I know my appt. isn't until after lunch but still freaking out and causing me anxiety.

Yeah, I dunno. Could've been bad day. Could be an incompetent doctor/doctor's office. I dunno. I'd keep an eye on 'em. We're mad as heck. What's their excuse?

hey @Former-Member 

Is there a reason or post behind why your family are unaware of your depression?  I just found this a curious statement?

In any case, next time, you could preempt the situation and maybe call the local police station and explain what's going on, it would stop you from having to worry about police turning up. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

I am not emotionally open with my family, and I don't really trust them enough to talk to them about it. I still have a relationship with my family and they are very helpful in other ways, but yeah.

@AussieRecharger .

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance