Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

saltandpepper
Senior Contributor

Reaching Out

If anyone is around, I'm new here, I'd really appreciate making some connections in the forum. I'm going through a bit of a rough patch right now with my depression. Would really appreciate a chat, something to help ground me a bit.

Cheers guys.

86 REPLIES 86

Re: Reaching Out

@saltandpepper  Hi saltandpepper and welcome to the forums :). I think many of us are suffering at the moment due to the restrictions etc that we are all enduring. You would definitely not be alone. I have schizoaffective disorder so am on mood stabilizers as I tend to go manic lol with certain triggers ..... although in saying that not being able to see my psychiatrist face to face the other day sent me in a tail spin in the opposite direction. Anyway I am here atm if you want to talk about anything :)greenpea

Thank you for responding @greenpea and thanks for the welcome. I'm sorry you're struggling at the moment as well, not being able to have access to your psychiatrist in person would be very difficult, I imagine.

Personally, I haven't faced a whole lot of changes with everything that's been going on in the world, well, I guess I have, but it hasn't bothered me so much.

I decided to reach out here for a bit of support, my depression can become quite consuming, and it's weighing heavily on me at the moment. I tend to go through periods where it gets quite bad, yesterday was probably a bad day, I guess. Just not being able to get out of bed. Wondering if it's OK to let go. When I get into these states, I find it very easy to convince myself it would be easier, better, to let go. Thought I might need a bit of extra support right now, so yeah, here I am. Thanks for responding, it means a lot.

@saltandpepper  you are definitely not alone I will tag @outlander  and @Shaz51  into the conversation they are both lovely people who will help you guide your way through the forums. I am sorry you had a really tough time yesterday :(. Is there a favourite movie that you would like to watch or book that you would like to read? even going for a walk around the block for some exercise could life your spirits even just a little bit.

Thanks @greenpea much appreciated. I see what you're saying, and since it is a sunny day I should get out of the house. But the headspace I'm in, I'm just struggling with the concept of 'why?' I feel like I'm constantly trying to find reasons to live. My son, I have a son, he is the reason I'm still alive. But there are times when I can convince myself it will be OK to let go. My life feels like a test, to see how long I can continue to push along until I break. I'd like to last as long as it takes for my son to become a grown man, to know he will be able to take care of himself. I'd like to last that long. I guess that can be my goal? Being alive, it feels like, I'm not living, I'm just marking time until it's OK to let go. Sometimes, I really want to let go. I really effing want to so badly sometimes. Like yesterday. I could have convinced myself. I could have talked myself into it. But I numbed myself to it. Shoved the feelings aside. That's all I do, shove the feelings aside. But every time I do that, it gets harder.

Sorry, I feel like that was a long ramble, but thanks for letting me share this with you.

Hi @saltandpepper things sound very tough for you atm.Just wanted to say that I read your posts and am thinking of you. There are a lot of compassionate, understanding people here. I reached out when I was in a very difficult situation and it was lifechanging to find people who just get it. Take care

Thanks for reading and responding @frog I really appreciate it. It's really reassuring that you reached out when you were struggling and have found it to be so helpful. That's what I'm hoping for as well. I find it too confronting and too difficult to have conversations like this in person. I even struggle to be honest with my therapist at times. I know I could call him for support, I know I can do that, but it's hard. It feels easier to get support this way. 

@saltandpepper  Sorry saltandpepper for disappearing my daughter arrived for a quick visit. I hear you. Life can be so tough. I have 3 children all with varying needs and I can assure you even though they are now kidults they all need their mum and dad to varying degrees. You will always be a very important person to your son regardless of his age. xxx

No worries @greenpea hope you had a nice visit with your daughter. I just went out for a drive, thought that may help a little.

Three kids hey? Sounds full on. I have my son, and he is the best kid. When I'm managing OK through my depression, I wouldn't dream of doing anything. I do love my son more than anything and he brings me a lot of joy. I've been absolutely terrified as a parent that I will do something wrong, that I will screw up, that I will repeat bad behaviours. I've been trying so hard to be everything he deserves. And yeah, knowing he needs and depends on me definitely rings through when I have those feelings of letting go. It's the reason I'm still here, knowing he needs me. And also wanting to protect him, if I weren't here, where would he end up, who would protect him? It's why I can't let go, I can't do that to him. But, I think it's why sometimes I get so depressed that I can't manage to get out of bed. Because I do, at times, want to give in, but knowing I can't do that makes it incredibly hard to live. Wanting to act on those feelings, wanting relief, but knowing I can't have it, it feels terrible. Yearning for something but knowing you can't have it. 
It feels terrible saying this, thinking it, if I didn't have a kid, I'd be able to let go. No guilt, no second guesses, no responsibility. But he is my responsibility, he didn't choose to be here, I'm responsible for him. He deserves a good life, a happy life, the best life I can possibly give him. But if he wasn't here, I wouldn't be here. That feels like both a blessing and a burden. Sometimes I wish I didn't have a reason to live. Sometimes I wish I didn't have to keep going. 

@saltandpepper  you are obviously a wonderful mum and a kind and caring person. Are there things that you like to do for yourself? like having a cup of tea out of your favourite mug or cup? I love my three cups of strong coffee a day 😛 they are what get this old body going every morning. I also walk most days with my neighbour early before everyone else does. It is beautiful and quiet thenwith the stars twinkling. What makes you happy just for you?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance