Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

CherryBomb
Senior Contributor

Service Spotlight 1: David from Mental Health Carers ARAFMI NSW

Hello everyone,

I'm so pleased and excited to start our first Service Spotlight. This an opportunity to learn about what services are out there, and what they can provide. This week, our special guest is David from Mental Health Carers at ARAFMI. He will be available throughout the whole week for you to ask questions about ARAFMI's services. 

Welcome to the Forums, David! 

16 REPLIES 16

Re: Service Spotlight 1: David from Mental Health Carers ARAFMI NSW

Hi everyone, and thank you Cherry!!

This is David from Mental Health Carers ARAFMI NSW Inc. ARAFMI is the NSW peak body that advocates for carers of people with a mental illness, and our vision is for a community that understands and responds to the impact of mental illness on families and carers and the many people who are living with a mental illness.

We are a non-government organisation that represents the interests of mental health carers through a range of functions – primarily advocacy, lobbying and member support and engagement. This includes operating a state-wide 1800 Carer Helpline and holding regular consultations with carers across NSW to gain information on their opinions and experiences with the mental health system.  The information ARAFMI receives is used to provide feedback to the NSW Ministry of Health with the view of influencing policy and legislative change.

We are pleased to be partnered with SANE Australia for this online carer forum, which will provide a good platform for carers to discuss issues with their peers and other like-minded people, and we look forward to hearing the various stories and discussions (and hopefully solutions!) that will arise from this very important resource. Let's have a discussion!!

Hi Everyone,

My name is Lynda. I also work at Arafmi. I am involved in all kinds of carer isssues. But my main area of interest is older person's mental health.

Have done some traveling throughout the state and getting peoples stories. 

I have the pleasure of being able to advocate on a local and state level.The more input we can get from carers, who are brave enough to tell their stories, the better we are able to advocate.

We have our carer support line and by calling that number an operator will be able to help refer you to services and support of all kinds. Through this line you can contact us to give us your input on what changes need to happen to improve the life of carers.

The best thing about Arafmi head office, is that we are not a service provider, we are here purly to address carer needs. No hiden needs! The majority of us working or helping out at Arafmi have a lived experience of being a carer so we all get it.

Hello David,

I was wondering if ARAFMI has an recreational activities, or if you can point me to services that can offer something like this? Ideally I'd like a place to mingle with other carers but not necessarily group meetings. 

Thanks,

BeHappy

Hi Be Happy,

If you call our office 1800 655 198 (free call). he opperator will lok at our fabulous data base and direct ou to exactly what you need

Lynda here also from Arafmi

Hi BeHappy,

There are quite a few organisations that would no doubt provide this sort of thing, and I agree with you - sometimes it's good to just 'let your hair down' and do something fun. I think Carers NSW would have some information regarding this - 1800 242 636.

Why don't you call our office tomorrow and we can have a chat. The number is on the website (www.arafmi.org). ARAFMI has a very extensive database and we can refer you to many respite-type services specifically aimed at carers. We look forward to speaking with you.

Hi David and Carer,

If I felt like I was being inappropiately treated by a mental health professional, where could I go? Does ARAFMI provide support/advice?

Hi Snoo,

There are many avenues you could consider, and we all need to know we are being adequately looked after. Sometimes it's good just to talk to someone, and I urge you to call our office, the number is on the website (www.arafmi.org). An ear to listen can often help.

While we cannot give advice, ARAFMI can note your concerns and provide this information to the NSW Mental Health Commission on your behalf.

And following our initial introduction, we would like to begin this discussion thread by asking what carers think about the proposed $7 co-payment to see a GP. In particular, how often do you, as a carer, visit the GP on behalf of your loved one/person you are caring for, and if this co-payment is introduced, how will this affect you in your caring role?

I think this is an issues close to the hearts of many at the current time, and would love to get other peoples' thoughts on this somewhat 'hot' topic!!

Hi David,

I'm wondering if this co-payment will only be for GPs or will it also impact seeing a psychologist etc (especially if it's the sessions through medicare).

Thanks

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance