Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday 1: Special guest psychologist YvonneS answers your questions *CLOSED*

*waves* Smiley Happy

Welcome to our first ever Topic Tuesday! We are joined tonight by @YvonneS, a wonderful psychologist, who has so generously accepted our invite to be our first Special Guest.

Have you got any burning questions for a psychologist, which you haven’t had the opportunity (and/or confidence) to ask? Is a friend or family member seeing a psychologist & you’ve always wondered what happens in those sessions? Or maybe you’re just curious to know what a psychologist does! Tonight is your night to ask anything!

Our session tonight will go from 6pm AEST to 8pm AEST, however this thread will be available to all members afterwards.

Let’s kick off by hearing a bit about our special guest tonight - @YvonneS, would you like to share a bit about yourself?

36 REPLIES 36

Re: Topic Tuesday - starting at 6pm AEST tonight!

Hi welcome to SANE ‘s first Topic Tuesday. My name is Yvonne Santen and I am a registered psychologist for over 10 years. For my day job I am also the Helpline Manager at SANE. I’m a mum and have 4 grown up daughters and 5 gorgeous grandchildren. I am also a carer for my daughter and special needs grandson. So I have a fair idea of what your all going through. Please feel free to ask me any mental health related questions and I will do my best to answer you. Remember however, I can’t give you advice on yours or your family members individual treatment plan. So lets get started!

Hi Yvonne,

I have a question - what happens in the first session with a psychologist?

Thanks!

Thats a good question Coffee Girl, generally the first session is a get to know you session both for your and the psychologist.  The psychologist will ask you questions to better understand why you have come and to cover 'housekeeping' issues.  The mundane type stuff.  Its a good opportunity to get a feel for the fit of the relationship... which is very important.

Appropriate question to get us going @coffeegirl

So @YvonneS, if someone we are caring for is off to their first session, what are some of the things we can tell them to reassure them if they are anxious?

Its ok to be anxious, most people are when they are doing something for the first time.  You might want to write down a brief family history or make some dot points about the things that are most concerning you.

If the person that your caring for is feeling anxious or apprehensive about going, tell them its ok, and that lots of people feel that way. Encourage them to let their psychologist know.

Hi, @YvonneS, a friend of mine's parent is suffering from advanced parkinsons and has mostly lost grip on reality. This friend I think feels abandoned and alone because the parent is no longer really there. What are the sorts of things my friend can do to help them through?

Once your family member or the person your caring for has seen the psychologist, try not to overwhelm them by asking lots of questions. Talking with a psychologist can bring up lots of feelings…. They might feel quite sad.. teary or just not want to talk.

Hi Swift, everyone has an expectation for how things are going to be. Unfortunately not everything turns out the way that we plan. When this happens its not uncommon to feel a sense of grief and loss. Telling your friend that its ok to have those feelings is a great start. Encourage them to talk with their GP to let them know how they are feeling and maybe suggest they talk with a psychologist to help them through this difficult time.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance