Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Events and Updates

Re: Topic Tuesday // ADHD // Tuesday 22nd February, 7:00- 8:30PM AEDT

@Paperdaisy wrote:

Question 3: Can you briefly tell us about the different types of ADHD?

From the DSM-V:

Inattentive Type – the daydreamer. More likely to be staring out the window, inattentive type is characterised by struggles in focusing and being attentive to the task at hand, whether that is a difficult task (like paperwork) or concentrating and staying attentive to conversations.

Hyperactive Type – the energetic one. Characterised by restlessness and urges to DO THINGS (just not always the ‘right’ things), hyperactive ADHD feels like IF I DON’T SAY/DO SOMETHING I WILL EXPLODE. If forced to sit still, it will feel like a buzz or hum is vibrating the body. Often will be fidgeting, bouncing their leg, or wanting to jump up and play.

Combined Type – A mixture of the above. I was diagnosed with combined type, so will often sit daydreaming, or bouncing my leg hard enough to shake tables 🤣

Having said this, in my experience, there are a complex array of presentations, and no two people will have the exact same combination of symptoms. 

My son and I both have combined type - his leg jiggles away and my mouth goes at 50 million miles an hour 😂

I agree that everyone experiences it differently @Jynx 

My eldest son and I have many similarities but many differences as well. I am predominantly inattentive (with an impulsive side as well). I have been so grateful to have him diagnosed not long after I was. We’ve talked lots about how it affects us. He is 27 now and only been diagnosed about 18months ago. 

Giggling at your sense of humour @Bristle  😂

sRe: Topic Tuesday // ADHD // Tuesday 22nd February, 7:00- 8:30PM AEDT

My son has ASD and ADHD, he has a combination type with difficulty processing information and using it but unsure if that is more from ASD traits or other things. He is very busy and active at times with no stickability to anything for more than a few minutes.

@greenspace I had a friend of mine once say "One of the first things you'll get from diagnosis is outrage." 
Learning that so many of your life struggles could potentially have been mitigated by an earlier diagnosis is a process to get through! It's natural to feel a sense of grief about what could have been. 

I hope you find a medication that works too! One thing I was worried about was that my creativity would be dampened, or that I'd become dulled down by it. Not in the slightest! It's more like...I can actually think in a straight line 😌

Also... about the clothes? MOOOOOD 😆

For those who might be jumping into the discussion, and those who have recently signed in, we are hosting a live discussion here about ADHD- you are more than welcome to join!

@Bill16 @Em1 @Emelia8 @M_7 @BlueBay @Peri @RedHorse @Willa @chibam @pinklollipop15 

You are more than welcome to join in and share your experiences, thoughts or questions for our amazing guest @Jynx 🙂 

Re: sRe: Topic Tuesday // ADHD // Tuesday 22nd February, 7:00- 8:30PM AEDT

Thanks for joining us @Millieme and sharing your story 😊

Question 4: What are some of the positives about having ADHD?

For me a never ending supply of ideas….🤔that comes with a long list of unfinished projects too. 🥴

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance