Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // Disordered eating & recovery: Building & maintaining hope // Tues. 28 June

Disordered eating can take many different forms, yet often involves an unhealthy preoccupation with eating and exercise, and self-worth being based on body shape and weight. Whether or not someone has been diagnosed with an eating disorder, disordered eating can significantly interfere with their daily life, and have a negative impact on their physical, emotional and social wellbeing.

As carers, developing skills in recognising the signs of disordered eating and supporting the person you are concerned about can be very helpful.

This month our special guest from Eating Disorders Victoria will join us to discuss building & maintaining hope for the person you care for during their recovery journey.

One key guideline to remember for this discussion is not to give specific details about weights and methods of dieting.

Join us on Tuesday, 28th June at 7pm AEST to be part of the conversation!

Four things you can do now:

1) Become a member of the Forums to participate in Topic Tuesday

2) Hit the 'Like' button below to receive an email notification on the night

3) Read our guest's post on the SANE Blog

4) Can't make the session? Leave your question below to be answered on the night

48 REPLIES 48

Re: Topic Tuesday // Disordered eating & recovery: Building & maintaining hope // Tues. 28 June

Would like to know how it is possible to control weight status quo when certain anti-depressants don't

help the situation? These meds make one 's appetitie increase leading to unwanted weight gain. Bimby2

Re: Topic Tuesday // Disordered eating & recovery: Building & maintaining hope // Tues. 28 June

Hi everyone!

Thanks to @Bimby2 for submitting a question. Our special guest and the community will look to address it during the night.

We have 10 minutes until kick off, so this is a reminder to @SilentlyU, @Littlelara@Agordrws2012@Ashley@Robertino, @Former-Member, @Shaz51@Faith-and-Hope and @BlueBay about tonight's session.

I'd like to introduce you to our special guest tonight @Building_Hope from Eating Disorders Victoria.

Thanks for joining us tonight @Building_HopeSmiley Happy

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for allowing me to be a part of the forum tonight. I hope you enjoyed reading my blog and there may have been some common concerns we can talk about.

To start us off @Building_Hope, could you tell us a little bit about disordered eating? What does it tend to look like?

has this forum started and if so I do I participate

Hi Building_Hope

Thanks @Shimmer to the invite.

I've had an eating disorder all my life on and off - but I don't think I ever had a healthy relationship to food at any time.

Going through mental health issues at the moment I do use my eating disorder (bulimia) to release stress or get back in control - not really sure what it is but it is not the pleasure of overeating it is the relieve I get.

I'm putting weight on (20kg so far) as I lack energy, because of the meds and everyone tells me to be kind to myself - so I eat a bar of chocolate.

I am battling at so many battle fronts at the moment with my mental illness, going through trauma therapy and having severe depression - I iust don't know if I can deal with my eating disorder as well. But I think I should address it before it gets out of control again. Any ideas?

Welcome @Ann61!

Yes the discussion has started, you can post as you did just then (by clicking "Reply" to a post, writing in the text box then pressing "Post", for anyone else who hasn't posted before), and keep clicking "Refresh" to see other people's posts appear Smiley Happy

Thanks for the question. My experience has been caring for somone with Anorexia and Bulimia.I started noticing behaviors like restricting meals or leaving the table directly after meals, weighing themselves everyday, excessive exercise and also becoming quite unsociable. 

Hi @Shimmer

Where is the "Refresh" button ?

Sorry ..... techno-baby here .....

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance