Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Lets get real! Transitions into parenthood // Tues 12 Nov 7pm AEDT

For out first discussion point -

Most parents-to-be imagine what their new family will look like once baby arrives. If the expectation doesn’t match the reality this can be quite distressing.

Does this resonate with anyone? Was there a moment when you thought “this isn’t how it’s supposed to be”?

Re: Topic Tuesday // Lets get real! Transitions into parenthood // Tues 12 Nov 7pm AEDT

Thanks for the tag @Shaz51 

Hello @Lauz @Sarzie @Julia2019 @PANDA 

I am reading through the posts, kinda floating in ptsd land at the moment but will look in again later.

7 children

Was there a moment when you thought “this isn’t how it’s supposed to be”?-- @Sarzie 

I could not have a child of my own which was hard to take and understand @Lauz , @Julia2019 , @PANDA 

@CheerBear, @eth , @frog , @greenpea 

Welcome @Wanderer, great to have you here tonight. Thanks for reading along as well. No pressure, but really appreciate you sharing with us tonight.

@BlueBay, @Owlunar , @Faith-and-Hope , @Former-Member 

Hi @Shaz51 

Thanks for sharing, that sounds like that would be really hard.

I am wondering what that was like to suddenly find yourself in a parenting role?

‘This isn’t how it’s suppose to be’ moment when my Son said Mum for the first time and I felt nothing/numb. No excitement, pride or joy. 

Oh boy - what a subject @Shaz51 

Like yours my transition into parenthood was a bit different - you suddenly had four step-children - shocker - and mine - and adoption - the day before I was at work and the next I was someone's mother - and not an easy baby either - 

That was culture shock - like yours "yeh - different" 

At least when I had my second child she came the regular was and I was prepared being an experienced mother already and having a pregnancy to get myself ready

I don't know if I have anyhthing to offer here but I just might - not everyone is the same and the differences add to life experience 

Thanks for tagging me

Dec

what that was like to suddenly find yourself in a parenting role?

interesting @Julia2019 

I remember thinking to myself I will not put any pressure on my step children -- I thought I would just be their friend and let their dad do the upbringing

my husband has inherited depression , bipolar 11 and other diagnosis

It did not take me long to relize that these children who all have their own degree of depression and 2 of them having ADhd needed more

and with a few comments from the children I had to change my thinking

and esp when the youngest started calling me mum and then the oldest boy called me mum

@Jane06 @Owlunar welcome! Its wonderful to have you join us tonight, thanks for coming along 😊

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance