Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // PTSD & Post Traumatic Growth // Tues 20 Feb, 7pm AEDT

i also suffer cptsd. so very interested

@suzanne does it mean that with my PSTD i can go on and live a positive life??? 

@BlueBay I'm not sure what you mean when you say you have two complex PTSD disorders. There aren't different types of C-PTSD. You either have it or you don't - you can't have it twice. 

I see PTG is so many members here every day - in the form of empathy!

I'm not sure. I've been on the personal growth path for many years now (20+).

This PTG seems hard to measure, or to be aware of.

There's been steady growth (I hope), but I'm often not aware of it until someone (usually psychologist) brings it to my attention.

Adge

@Phoenix_Rising

my psychologist told me that i have two: (1) my childhood sexual abuse and (1) my mum

Yes @Zoe7!!!!  Exactly.  

The key early researchers, Tedeschi and Calhoun, talk about the importance of support to PTG. Reading about it made me think of the forums. Support is about having someone to:

- listen to the worst
- learn from the survivor
- tolerate the ‘craziness’ (their word not mine)
- be there for the long haul

I see this in the forums all the time. And in doing these things you are facilitating each others post-traumatic growth. 

HI all, this is an interesting topic but i think its a bit of a double edged sword for me. While i do think that i am a more.. empathetic and understanding person because of my history (which i think is a good thing), it's come at a high cost and doesnt take away the damage or difficulties that i have either. So while there may be positive growth.. i also dont know if I had had no/less trauma who i would have been or what i could have achieved etc... not sure if this makes sense!
interesting to hear more though!

@suzanne I think it is important to distinguish between PTSD and C-PTSD. From what I've read, the idea of PTG relates to PTSD rather than C-PTSD. Have you read any research pertaining to PTG following C-PTSD?

Hi everyone. Such an interesting (and potentially quite challenging) topic. My first thought is how a person's perspective regarding the potential for PTG following experiencing trauma could be very different depending on where in their journey through trauma they are. For me my ability to see and hope for positive growth is sometimes very different week to week (day to day even).

Looking forward to following along tonight.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance