Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // What peer support is and why it's great // Tues 11th May, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

Question 1: What is peer support and why is it important?

Peer support is a really powerful approach to mental health support that’s based on the sharing of lived experience. 

Being able to connect with someone who has been through their own struggles can be really helpful. It’s not just talking to someone about what’s going on for you, but it’s connecting with someone who will listen without judgement because they’ve been there too

I also love that it’s never about offering advice but the focus is on sharing strategies that have worked for the worker and collaborating on the steps the person seeking support could take to get through what they are going through.

Re: Topic Tuesday // What peer support is and why it's great // Tues 11th May, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

I have been in active recovery from complex-PTSD for nearly 18 months. In June I commence training in Peer Support Work with Mental Health Victoria so am keen to understand more about what it involves.

Many moons ago - like 30 years ago - I worked as a Nurse in Psych for a period of time (the majority of my nursing work was general & disability back then) so have an understanding of how things were  but no doubt things have changed enourmously. 

We all practice peer support everyday on here - it is a sharing of experiences, knowledge and empathy with each other to support each other as peers - that is as equals in every way no matter what we are struggling with or dealing with.

I would love to work in peer support. How do you do it when you have your own demons?
I’d love to study mental health but I can’t study on line and it’s not offered face to face anywhere near me. I studied it years ago but too long ago for RPL.

Hi @Daisydreamer @Former-Member @Shaz51 @Adge @HappyCastle and others *waving from chilly regional NSW*

it is a sharing of experiences, knowledge and empathy with each other to support each other as peers - i agree @Zoe7 

@HappyCastle wrote:

Being able to connect with someone who has been through their own struggles can be really helpful. It’s not just talking to someone about what’s going on for you, but it’s connecting with someone who will listen without judgement because they’ve been there too

I also love that it’s never about offering advice but the focus is on sharing strategies that have worked for the worker and collaborating on the steps the person seeking support could take to get through what they are going through.

I really love this response @HappyCastle- it really is about the relationship and the mutual connection ðŸ’œ

also to encourage, letting your peers know that they are not alone @Daisydreamer@HappyCastle 

hello @greenspace@Ophelia Smiley Very Happy

Hey @Ophelia so glad you're here with us tonight. That's a brilliant question and I think it's something important to talk about. The very nature of peer work is sharing those lived experiences, and I know for me that can mean sharing a lot of my 'demons'. I think the beauty of peer work is that we are able to show that vulnerability and use it to connect and support others.

It wasn't an easy journey for me to get here, and I had to ensure I was in a place in my recovery where I was able to balance my own self-care and wellness with helping others. 

It's great you want to study mental health but unfortunate there isn't a course offered near you currently.

Peer Support is supporting & mentoring others - from a perspective/ background of "Lived Experience" (ie having had similar experiences or issues to deal with) @Daisydreamer 

As far as I understand it.

Having been strongly encouraged by several people - To Apply for Peer Support roles (positions) myself.

Adge

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance