Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Disability

Tomorrow is International Day of Persons with Disabilities. 

I'm curious about whether some of you think of your MI as a disability, rather than an illness?

I guess if you're comparing it to a physical model, illnesses are things that are either terminal or you recover from, whereas a disability is a more long-term condition that you live with. I know fpeople with physical disabilities often say that their physical condition is less debilitating than the rules and expectations of the community, which are oriented towards the physically-able and thereby exclude them. 

4 REPLIES 4
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Disability

Great topic and question @Former-Member - thanks for getting it started!

A mental illness can be ongoing and life-long, like a physical / cognitive disability can be. People with long term mental illness often qualify for the Disability Support Pension, so Centrelink seems to consider that a disability. Also autism is classified as both a mental illness and a social disability.

I think disability is usually defined as an impairment to normal functioning e.g. sensory or cognitive. This would be the experience of some people with a mental illness in that they can't continue work or need help to organise their appointments and medication. Others would find they mainly function well enough in spite of the MI.

Society seems to accept the word disability easier than mental illness. Not quite as much stigma?

I find it odd how commentators these days refer to mental illness as "mental health" quite a bit. The two things are opposites I thought?

Let's all try to notice and engage with a person with a disability tomorrow if we can. They get ignored and talked down to alot.

Regards,

Frog

Hi, it has been hard for me to accept my MI as both an illness, or as a disability, but i do now see my MI as both. I am unable to work. MI i guess is different for everyone, just like any other illness when your acutely ill, MI can restict your ability to work and function, as it has for me. I hope by accepting my disability-illness, i can get past the stigma & worry about what others think, because I cant work & just try to accept myself & do the best i can for myself. Bye @1stepup61

Great question @Former-Member I'm interested to hear what others think.

My disabilities emerged gradually over time.  Mainly between the age of 25-30.  Main physical symptoms in early period were skeletal and due to work and overuse .. ganglions .. disc herniations .. etc.

My physical disabilities were first.  it took quite a few more years before I had any active SI .. if that is a criteria of mental illness .. or just luck of the draw and being at bottom of the pile of life's lottery of goodies.  

During most of my life most people tossed around the concept that schizophrenia was genetic and assumed there was a schizophrenia gene.  Stats seem to rule the day, having done a bit of biol and stats I have tried to work with those concepts.

"My Jury" is not yet "out" regarding my emotional and mental landscape.  Nobody has been straight up with me yet .. about diagnosis .. maybe one day...

A year ago, in a social scenario, a psychiatrist reassured me it was alright to be ambivalent .. I actually bumped into him "socially" again last Sunday. We usually get on fine .. re music & science .. with a brief blah blah .. joke and laugh and real feelings .. but agree real issues to be addressed.

It is easier to be clear about my physical issues but even that is not straightforward. I was awarded DSP about 7 years ago but still it took another few years because I could speak of myself as a person with disabilities.

I have been looking at my mental, emotional, social and personality issues .. but frankly still havent got a clue.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance