Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: EMDR - Has anyone done this

Hi @Appleblossom ,

Yes i wonder if the psych just said 2-3 sessions to hook me in bcoz if she said 20-30 or more i wld hav run a mile. Not sure, mayb thats not being fair to her. Im hoping she can offer other aspects of therapy that will b beneficial if i dont go with the emdr.

There is no doubt my husband loves me, but as u said, men often hav difficulty with emotional stuff and that is definitely the case here. I was a very confident, capable, oitgoing and fun loving person before this hapnd,  now im an emotional wreck and he just cant handle it. Apart from the odd occasion when he is there for me emotionally, mostly he just distances hinself, or sometimes gets annoyed/frustrated/angry at me for being the way that i am. And thats rly tough. I get that he doesnt know how to deal with it, but it disappoints me that hes not willing to try.

Thanks again for ur support. Xx

Hi @Former-Member ,  thanks again for ur support and encouragement, and for sharing ur personal experiences. Please forgive me if my reply does not do ur post justice. Iv bn overwhelmed with responses from the wonderful forumites, but struggling to keep up! I only hav the internet on my phone and it takes ages to type out a post.

Wow, u hav certainly been very diligent and proactive with ur therapy. I know that i certainly cld not afford to keep going for that many sessions (especially the emdr at $290 a pop!).  Good on u for being so committed to ur recovery. So how long hav u bn seeing this therapist for? It certainly sounds like its bn a difficult process for u, but worth it it sounds like. U r very committed to go thru all that u hav!

Thank u for ur encouragement to b brave and keep moving forward, and being in the drivers seat, and ur advice re questions for psych.

I rly appreciate u being so open and honest and sharing so freely.

Thank u.

Doglover 💛

That seems to b a common theme @greenpea . Though some hav had good experiences many hav found it traumatising. I think i am inclined to agree about leaving the past in the past. How do u deal with how u know the past effects u today, like with phobias, how do u get past that?

@Dogloveri've never done this so i can't give you any advice about it. however some things that i've found, personally with new treatments/medications etc.

remember this is just my personal experience it may not apply to you at all

- find out the side effects first if there are any

- if this treatment turns out to be something you feel isn't right for you/you fell worse can you just stop right away or do you have to taper off for e.g.

- do you trust the dr/practitioner who reccomended you this treatment? when they treat you, do you feel they are on the right track?

- do some research for yourself. what can you find out about the treatment, do you have any concerns about it? can you talk to your dr and ask them about your concerns?

🙂

Yes u rly hav bn blessed to hav the team around u that u have @Zoe7 . I think i will talk to my new gp about whether he wld b willing to bulk bill me. 

So glad u were able to leave the school that was so unsupportive and move to somewhr that provides u with so much more support. That must hav bn hard going back to work before u were ready, especially when u were so unsupported in ur workplace. I rly hope my work keep my job open, i rly wld b devastated if they didnt. 

I dont know much about dbt - did u find it helpful? Is it done with a psychologist/therapist?

Im sorry u had to go through so much before getting the right meds, especially si and attempts - im so glad u didnt succeed! I do see a pdoc in the public sector, he is trying his best to find a suitable med, but i believe im actually reacting to other ingredients in the meds (due to past experience) and am rly scared that thrs nothing they can give me that i dont react to. And that il never get better!

Youre right, it is rly difficult to see ne hope at the moment, i am feeling like there is no hope, and no way out of this situation and im rly rly scared. I just feel like my life is in ruins now but i appreciate u encouraging me to hope, and even use ur experience as a source of hope. I am glad that u can now see hope for ur furure. And u were so blessed to hav those ppl around u holding that hope when u cldnt. I rly need that and dont rly hav it i must say. Thank u for ur offer of support to help me find that hope - i will gratefully take u up on that.

Thank u @Zoe7 , ur a gem xxx

Hi @eth , see my pdoc on wednesday i think, not sure if i can hold out til then. In a pretty bad way and sleep is getting worse and worse - thats always a signal for me that things arent good. Problem is there doesnt seem to be any meds they give me that i dont react to - i think its the other ingredients that i react to, based on past experience. Its a scary place to b. Dont hav a relationship with gp. Seen him once when my previous gp left the clinic (who was a hard woman anyway) before he went on long service leave, so rly dont even know him. Hes bn away for the last 3 months. I hope he is better than my old doctor! But no support from thr at this point!

Hi fellow dog lover @Hope4me . Thank u for ur comprehensive reply. I am also pooped so will save my proper reply til i hav a bit more in the tank. Just wanted to ackowledge ur response and thank u.

I am not in the greatest of places tonight but wanted to acknowledge your post @Doglover I will come back to a longer reply at a later stage but for now know I am listening and hear that you are not doing so great either. Will happily support you through this when I can - as I can see many others here are doing the same. You deserve that support Heart

@Doglover  Hey Doglover good question re past phobias and dealing with them. To be honest I haven't dealt with them yet. I still have to go back to my psychologist and work on those by using coping mechanisms for stress and anxiety without bringing up the toxic past only to keep reliving it again and again afterwards. I have just been so busy with support workers re ndis, kidults and psychiatrist I just haven't had the energy to deal with these problems just yet so I bury them deep inside and just get on with it.

You are a very busy pea @greenpea . Its no wonder u havnt had the time to focus on dealing with these things. I hav just lived my life avoiding all my phobias - i was hoping emdr might b the answer to that but thr has bn a lot of negative feedback from forumites (along with some positive) re retraumatising so i dont think its something im going to pursue, particularly when every day is torture with the symptoms i hav now anyway. And those symptoms r only getting worse. Its just a nightmare im living!

Anyway, i hope u r doing ok greenpea. Thinking of u. Xxx

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance