Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

LSeven
Contributor

End of Line

Hi there

there has been a lot of talk today about euthanasia within the Australian community. I'm in total support of a person choosing to end their life due to a chronic illness (I'm also aware that a certain illness condition may override this eg dimentia, MND, hospital cancer).

I really think a person should 'go' when they choose to and That they are able to make this decision as a functioning person.  

My summary is that a person in hospital care, at the end of line stage, should pass with some dignity in tact.  

heavy stuff on a Friday. Haha  

7 REPLIES 7
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: End of Line

I'm glad this is going ahead. i havent even had a chance to look at the news today. Agree that there should be dignity with inevitable outcomes.

lj

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @LSeven; @Former-Member

This is such an important topic, and anyone who has watched a loved one die from cancer in a painful way will have wished at some point that they could relieve them of their suffering.

People can have very divergent values about assisted dying and the right to legally end one's own life, and I think all views are valid as this comes down to person individual values and beliefs, as well as the situation one is in. I'm glad that parliament is looking into this issue again and it has been widely debated in Australia with 50 bills presented to various parliaments over the past 20 years.

Hopefully compassion and common sense will find a way...what do others think?

Frog

utopia
Senior Contributor

@LSeven. I've also been reading up on this proposal. Unfortunately it only covers very limited conditions. But maybe that is a way to get the bill passed in Parliament first - by keeping it simple. Then maybe other conditions can be added to the list.
But first- lets hope the Bill gets passed & becomes law.

hi @LSeven

How are you? What a great topic. 

Hi everyone else ... @Former-Member @utopia @Former-Member

I dont think I agree...I think every case needs to be reviewed on a one by one case.  

utopia
Senior Contributor

@PeppiPatty. Yes I think they do need to look at each case individually.
It's the pain and suffering that worries me the most.

All I'm saying. The law has to reflect humans dying with dignity.  The last time i was in the cancer ward, people were physically assisted dealing with every day bodily functions. Not good. 

Also aware that the parliamentary process had to take place.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance