Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Zoe7
Community Guide

Flashbacks

Suffered influenza three months ago and post viral fatigue. I started to show some signs of depression and PTSD which I have suffered on and off for many years. The continued fatigue enhanced my depressive symptoms and I began to have flashbacks and my PTSD returned. Both my mental and physical health have been severely impacted. I have had to be off work as a result and can't seem to see a road back. Have been in regular contact with my GP and Psychologist and they have been amazing. Have begun some desensitization work but doesn't seem to be having a positive impact at the moment. Seriously can't see it working and can't see a way out. Really tired of feeling down and constant negative thoughts and images. Trouble sleeping exacerbates the negative feelings. Too tired to do much at all but make my appointments. Feel stuck in past, can't stop reliving the traumatic events and can't seem to look forward. It's all just getting too hard!

7 REPLIES 7
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Flashbacks

Hi @Zoe7 - I don't think we have spoken before, its nice to meet you.

I am sorry to read you are struggling with depression and PTSD. But I am glad to hear you have some great supports in your GP and Psychologist. I am just wondering if you see a psychiatrist too if not it might be worthwhile seeing someone for an opinion and or further treatment from them.

I think its important that you rule out any other physical cause for your recent decline(depression & ptsd) . It might be worthwhile to have a complete physical with GP (blood tests). I think its important that you continue to talk to your psychologist and maybe even print off what you said here it may help them to gain a better understanding too of where you are at.

What other strategies do you think might help and what other supports do you think you need?

Have already had comprehensive blood tests (regularly), scans and x-rays. All are now coming back within normal range. Can't get in to see a psychiatrist until Feb or March - not from lack of trying - my GP has been very determined in contacting anyone and everyone. It's the same across the board - all away over the Christmas period and most of January, or not taking any new clients. My GP and Psychologist do have contact to try and manage where I'm at and how they can best help. Good to know I have their support - and very much rely on it, but hard when I'm alone with my thoughts and feelings. Try to distract myself with doing little things but everything at the moment seems to trigger my racing thoughts. Definitely need distractions - writing really helps but feel very drained afterwards.

Hello @Zoe7,

Sorry to hear you are having a hard time with your flashbacks and racing thoughts that sounds exhausting.

It is really good you have support from a range of services, but can understand you are concerned with coping over the xmas period with how you are feeling now, it's great you are using the forums for that extra support.

You could also work on some coping strategies with your psychologist, but there are also some really great apps for racing thoughts such as the Smiling Mind App :

Smiling Mind

https://smilingmind.com.au/

It is good that you are writing your thoughts, are you doing that in a journal? It's understandable you feel drained after so make sure you have a rest, doesn't have to be a sleep but a quiet tea on your own or just putting your feet up can be just as helpful as sleep.

Are there other things you like to that help to create some positive thoughts, such as seeing friends, hobbies or exercise?

lunar

The problem with most of the apps I have looked at is that the voices are male and I can't quite cope with that at the moment. Instead of being relaxing it exacerbates my anxiety. I actually don't have friends as such as I have been very good at locking myself away over the years and avoiding relationships of any kind. My continued fatigue makes it really hard to walk more than a few minutes at a time - a 15 minute walk was too much and I spent the next two days where I could barely move! That's the most frustrating thing - anything I could possibly think about doing makes me tired and then I feel even more depressed at not being able to function - then the thoughts come. This forum is probably the easiest thing I have done to be able to fill some time for many months.

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Zoe7I am glad to hear you have had been taking care of yourself and having regular checkups with your GP. That is a long wait to see a psychiatrist I am not sure if you are in a small town, regional city or capital city?. If that was me and I was concerned about myself I would probably try to go into hospital if I thought that would help and I felt comfortable going into that hospital. That way you could fast track some treatment for yourself, but if you wait you can also do that and ask to be put on a cancellation list.

It must be difficult with the lack of energy and racing thoughts, I truly feel for you and where you are at. I know you said you find it hard to do anything physical and not sure if you have a medical condition that is impacting this. For me I think exercise really important for me to manage my condition. I could suggest starting off small and slowly building up some stamina. I am glad find writing helpful.

I hope you start to feel better...........

Not comfortable going into hospital. Have my dog and cat at home that really are keeping me going at the moment. My cat may be ok with someone else for a while but my dog is very clingy at the moment and would get very distressed. If I could take him with me I might consider it but that's not an option. Would make me feel even worse without them around. Have been put on a wait/cancellation list for a psychiatrist but that still won't be until the end of January minimum if it happens.

Former-Member
Not applicable

I understand you not feeling comfortable going into hospital and I wouldn't want to leave my dog either. How old are you @Zoe7 ? I hope you get your appoitment soon rather then later. I would try to plan a bit of structure in your day and do the things that make you feel more at ease and comfortable. Hugs to you.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance