Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

utopia
Senior Contributor

Getting sick again.

So I've just had almost 11 months of what I call remission from my Major Depression. It is the longest I have ever been in recovery. It's been great.

But on December 14th I witnessed a horrific incident that has left me traumatised. I keep seeing visions of it. I am sleeping a lot more because I am mentally so exhausted. I now worry that my Depression will come back, plus I will have this trauma to deal with.

I have no idea what to do. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Getting sick again.

Do you have a therapist or counsellor to talk through the trauma with? @utopia 

Why do you think they are reoccurring? Do you think your brain is trying to process what happened or do you think its occurring due to another stressor on your body and it;s flashing this in a similar response to the same stress you are feeling? 

To be honest, start off with having a chat with a sane counsellor. If you have a good friend, maybe ask them to support you while you try to evaluate why you keep revisiting this moment, and they may be able to do something such as hold your hand to help you feel secure and safe during this reoccurance. 

When you do have these reoccurrences, make sure you tell yourself that you are safe, you are well and you have nothing to fear. Reinforcing those messages into your logical part of your brain will be key to reducing your flight/fight/freeze from controlling these emotions. 

Hey @utopia ,

Good to see you. I'm sorry you had to witness that horrific accident. It sounds like it really affected you.

I'm glad to hear you are monitoring your symptoms such as sleeping a little more etc.

As you have experienced what it is like to recover from major depression, you perhaps know what you want to achieve as a goal.

I hope you find the emotional support you need at this time. It sounds like a very tough time. Please know you are not alone. It is understandable you are feeling this way after witnessing something traumatic.

Please know we are here to support you.

tyme

Hey @utopia ,

How are you?

I'm thinking of you.

Hi @tyme .

I'm good. I'm ok. Ups and downs. More ups, which is good.

Still contemplating if I should increase my antidepressant as my Psychiatrist suggested. I'm putting off the decision for as long as I can. Typical me 

How are you? Hope you are well.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance