Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Basslover
New Contributor

PMDD

Hello,

first time posting. I have struggled with PMDD since I first started menstruating. I was only diagnosed a few years ago and it all makes sense now. It has RUINED my life. I have lost friends and family.I’ve struggled with addictions to numb my emotional pain. I re entry reached out to the local drug n alcohol services for support and have my next visit Wednesday 24/1. I live in Adelaide and wondered if anyone knows of any psychiatrist who knows about/deals with PMDD (pre menstrual dysphoric disorder….an acute reaction to the natural rise and fall of hormones). I have regular suicidal ideation and I’m finding it harder to keep a job, a relationship and to mask my unhappiness. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
tyme
Community Lead

Re: PMDD

Hey @Basslover ,

Thank you for sharing with us. Unfortunately, we are not able to name and recommend psychiatrists, but I was wondering if you have spoken to your GP about it and perhaps they can refer you? 

I hear how much you are struggling and I'm sorry to hear it has taken away your friends and work.

It sounds very difficult.

To help you get through emotionally, do you see a therapist? SANE counsellors are available M-F 10am-8pm  AEDT on 1800 187 263 if you are every interested in speaking to someone. This is a free service.

Thank you. I wasn’t aware that you couldn’t recommend someone. I’m seeing my GP this week for this reason but it’s hard to find someone who gets it.
I am also seeing a drug and alcohol counselling service who have a psychologist that I will see soon.

Thanks for your reply 😀

Hey @Basslover ,

How are things going for you today? 

Have you heard of our Guided Service? This is a free service where you can get both 1:1 support and group support.

Also, if you feel things are really hard, you can use SANE's phone counselling M-F 10am-8pm AEDT 1800 187 263 

What are some things you enjoy doing?

Rollon
Casual Contributor

I so feel for you as I suffered what they called back in my time PMS  It was unbearable the lead up to my periods I would turn into someone with emotional madness.  I would throw things and the depression was unbearable with uncontrollable crying then for about four days would end up in bed with severe type migraine headaches.  As they say an emotional roller coaster of ups and downs every month. I tried so many Chemist remedies but they failed for me talking to the Doctor as far back as the 80's about this issue not much was done for me.  I was sent to Psychiatrists as well. Many years later both my sister and I tried an implant of hormones in our arm and both of us could not stand it and had it removed just after a week.  I hope there are better options now out there for people to try.  What my children saw me go through was heart breaking for me.  I got to 50 and periods just stopped and every single damn problem just vanished.  I found that I just have to keep going back to my Doctor for all other issues I have and keep at it he is my only help in my life of other health issues.

I hope there are new treatments out there for you.  I am not up to date with how PMS is treated these days. But you need to get your Doctor's advice on how to deal with this.

Thinking of you.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance