Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

GlowCloud
Casual Contributor

Feeling scared

So lately anxiety has been getting the better of me.
My (ex-)best friend wrote about me in her blog and when I confronted her about it she ditched me, leaving me betrayed and vulnerable. Since then, I've been struggling with my current friendship (which is the only one I have) because I'm scared that I'll push her away too.

She wants to hang out a lot, but I'm currently dealing with depression, anxiety, and other chronic illnesses and a lot of the time I just don't have the energy.
I've spoken to her about it and she didn't seem very receptive and every time I can't go out with her she gets upset.
I'm worried that I'm going to lose her too and I really can't handle that.

I don't know what to do because I've never had many people I called a close friend - in fact she would be the 4th person I have ever considered to be a really good friend.
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Feeling scared

Hi @GlowCloud. Sounds like you have had a tough time with friends. One who sounds like she didn't respect your privacy and another sho isn't understanding of your health.
Many people who have never experienced MI, just don't seem to understand it. The old sayings of "just get on with it", don't work or help us.
Maybe you could print out some information about depression and anxiety. What it's like to live with. And what people can do to help those living with it and what doesn't work.
Sometimes hearing it from someone else may help them understand a bit more.
Give this a try and see how she responds.
Do you have family that you are in contact with who support you and understand? What about a therapist to talk with? Sometimes we need professionals to speak with, so that we when we see our friends we can talk about other things.

Re: Feeling scared

Hi @GlowCloud

Welcome to the forums, i see that you have another thread as well where you have shared some of your story, it is wonderful that you have reached out I hope that you are feeling welcomed and comfortable finding your way around and comfortable contributing where ever you feel you can

sometimes these communities can be a good adjunct to external friendships because as you spoke about friends not always being in a head space where they can hear and understand you, this community will hear you and as utopia said a therapist can also be a great resource to build your energy and increase your ability to manage these difficult experiences 

i was wondering though about your heading, 'feeling scared' what are you most scared / concerned about? perhaps someone will have some ideas?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance