Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Nath91
Casual Contributor

Auditory Hallucinations

Hi. I have a couple questions regarding auditory hallucinations. When should I be concerned? For those who have experienced this, how often did it occur? 

I'm a 27 yo male. I've had 4 or 5 over the span of 3 years. The first one really freaked me out, I was laying on my bed with a migraine and, it's hard to describe, it's as if my mind wandered and intruded on a conversation. A male clearly spoke in an aggressive tone "is that (my name)!? I've got something to tell.. Then a female cut him off and softly said, to the male, 'sshhhhh.. '

The last one, 2 months ago, is what you would call a command hallucination. Again I was laying in bed and trying to sleep. Just before I was about to nod off I opened my eyes then a deep masculine voice said 'get up'. I was lying on my left side, this voice came from my right side maybe 1 inch away from my ear. I lost it, turned the light on and didn't sleep.

Now since this has happened only a handful of times in a long time period I wasn't sure if I should seek help. People who haven't experienced this could not understand how real it is. There is no distinction between hearing these and hearing someone next to you. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Auditory Hallucinations

Actually hearing voices just before you fall asleep and when you are waking up is very comon it is just your brain moving between awake and dreaming states. it is not something to be concerned about. if the voices start happening when you are wide awake and at times not related to sleep then perhaps get it looked into even then i would only worry if it is happening fairly regularly and interfearing with your day to day life. there are actually lots of people who her voices but arent psychotic and they tend to be less frequent and not as distressing. but still very real. 

Thank you. So I should only be concerned if they happen in the day/walking around?

My older sister was paranoid schizophrenic, she stopped talking about it because no one believed her, and 5 weeks ago ended her life. If I think it starts to get worse id like to deal with it early. 

Hi @Nath91 , so very sorry to hear about your sister Heart Please know this community is here to listen and support you as you need. 

Oooooh @Nath91  So recent. Condolences for your sister.  

Heart

There is so much pain, grief and anxiety, it is probably a good idea to seek professional help to unburden rather than worry about hallucinating.

I grew up with the spectre of having both parents labelled schizophrenic.  It can set up a lot of fear and reflection. The line between rumination and reflection can be tricky. I dealt with it by going to psych doctors periodically throughout most of my life, and pursuing different therapuetic strategies.  I was isolated at different times and came close to auditory hallucinations in mid 20s when I was studying my BA, but somehow the foreknowledge that my parents had been unwell, gave me an extra dose of reality checking.  

My sister also had that diagnosis and completed suicide when she was 21 after many attempts.  A bit different than your case, as I certainly believed her, but we sibs had a lot on our plate and I only recently was able to get her state ward file.  There was enough evidence to show a lot of trauma.  I believe schizophrenia is a sign of trauma rather than a bung gene. Both my parents had ample trauma to explain their diagnosis, and my mother "successfully?" fought it.

The genetics is complex and still the jury is out ... 

Your whole family is probably in a bit of a spin.

Heart

Take Care 

Apple

Sorry to hear Apple. My sister was 34, and as your sister had many previous attempts. She had a history of drug use and was abused as a child, but never sought help, this illness ate her. She talked to me about hallucinations though not often, this we believed, but her paranoid delusions were just bizarre. She was absolutely convinced she had something called 'morgellons disease', spent hours in the bathroom looking in the mirror trying to find these fibres. Spent a long time homeless living in her car trying to escape government drones, they were tracking her as she was a targeted person. She also believed they implanted a microchip in her arm. Years ago we used to talk about conspiracy theories we were both right into, I fell in that hole as well but pulled myself out. I just wish I sat down with her and asked her to get help. The last message she sent me was a strange picture that had a hundred subjects with lines drawn between them to show they were connected, a conspiracy theory.

Our mum and younger sister are doing it the hardest. For some reason it hasn't effected me that much, when I think of her it's like she's still here. 

Thanks for the replies all. I'm a strong willed and intelligent person, and know when something isn't right. I have a history of suicide attempts and delusions, isolating myself from everyone, but have headed in the right direction after finding full time employment and finding religion. If I feel something isn't right or gets worse I'll take the first step to ask for help. 

Stay safe ❤️

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance