Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday// Living with Bipolar // Tuesday 26th March 2024 5:30-7PM AEDT

Pure hell

Re: Topic Tuesday// Living with Bipolar // Tuesday 26th March 2024 5:30-7PM AEDT

Hey! @Bridge1 

Thanks so much for joining the discussion. I just wanted to let you know that I've edited your post and taken out the mentioning of specific dosage or name of a medication as it goes against our guidelines. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts in this discussion 🙂

How do you navigate parenting or raising a family while living with Bipolar? 

@EdwardBlossom 

I’m not sure I’ll last 9 years of trying to get it right @EdwardBlossom but it does make me feel better knowing it’s ok to have not got it all together in 2 yrs

Q: How do you navigate parenting or raising a family while living with Bipolar? 

My children were 5 and 3 when I was diagnosed. And the first years after diagnosis were very stressful for me and my family. I’ve always been upfront with my kids about having bipolar disorder and what it means. I explain things in an age-appropriate way which means the content changes from year to year.

I like to think that having a parent with bipolar disorder has helped them build their empathy and compassion. I do worry that have been badly affected by witnessing my manic or depressive moods, my hospital stays, etc. at such a young age. I hope not. Other family members have ranged from incredibly supportive to completely ignorant and offensive. The joy of families!

Definitely no set timeframe @Captain24! As I said earlier, it takes time to figure these things out. That's ok. Frustrating at times, absolutely, but perfectly ok to take your time with it. As much time as you need. 

It is totally okay. And very common. Based on my family members (two brothers and me) and other friends experienced.

Try not to be too hard on yourself. You sound like you are making progress. Bipolar management is not a straight link - its a roller coaster (not a very fun one!)

@Captain24 

It could take a while @TideisTurning. I just need to find patience. Plus I also got another diagnosis while I was away. So more to work through. 

That does sound like a lot to deal with @Captain24. You'll get there though. I know it  😊

Thanks @EdwardBlossom. I have no one around me going through anything like this so I’m pretty much on my own, outside my treating team

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance