Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // PTSD & Post Traumatic Growth // Tues 20 Feb, 7pm AEDT

@CheerBearwrote:
It also reminds me of the potential difference in experience between trauma that can occur by accident or as a natural event vs that which can happen in relationships, especially with people in positions of authority or trust @Mazarita. Tricky stuff!

@CheerBear That is a really good point and comes back to the difference between PTSD and C-PTSD. It is well established in the literature that trauma due to accidents/natural events tends to have a less lasting impact than interpersonal trauma. Definitely tricky stuff! 

Thanks so much @suzanne & everyone here.

Adge

ammm @suzanne, Did not relizes the real turn around was when my father passed away and then I inherited his house , my childhood home , that was hard , but with the support from my wonderful Hasband who has had MI all his life , we have made the house our home , it did take a few years

Thank you @Lauz and @suzanne for running tonight. Was very thought provoking and interesting. Also thought it was so powerful as people shared their insights and personal experiences, really helps me to understand. I have missed bits and pieces putting my chiddlers to bed, so will be going back over later.
Thank you all.

Hi @suzanne

What helped me grow? I think it was more what made me grow. Thinking about my experience of adolescence / adulthood trauma it was not having a choice and having to support other people through the traumatic experiences. I was the ‘lucky one’ to be still alive. Perhaps it is my passion to help others that helped me grow? Or did I become passionate because I was exposed to hurt and loss?

Early childhood / childhood, I don’t know.

One thing I know is that from early on I was told to be quiet, to shut up. And I was always told to be grateful for what I have and to compare myself with the suffering of the world. Yes there are always people worse off than myself and to this day I feel like I’m whinging when I talk about my trauma. I feel like I shouldn’t be ungrateful for what I have in life. I still sit there in disbelief when my therapist tells me I have a very long list of traumatic experiences and that I have the right to talk about it (I don’t know the exact words).

I wouldn’t be me? Doesn’t everyone’s life get influenced by their experiences?

I too had to have an extended period of withdrawal from my parents, @Former-Member, @Phoenix_Rising. It lasted seven years, after which a death of someone we all were close to drew us together again. It has still taken time to find fairly good reconciliation with parents but I am very grateful it has occurred now. Just an alternative story in my case.

In regards the medical model of psych illness, I do subscribe to it to a fair degree in my own case. I believe the Black Dog Institute's information about bipolar, for example, that it is the most genetically inherited of all the conditions, 80% related to genetics, as stated by them. I witness it so widely in my own family, especially the undiagnosed but obvious mental illness of both of my parents. My father was a classic Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde.

Thank you all for a really interesting discussion and thank you @suzanne for facilitating tonight and acknowledging that the idea of PTG is not an attempt to minimise suffering due to trauma. I was reluctant to join in tonight because of that worry, but I am glad I did.

That’s a big achievement tonight @Former-Member, being here and contributing. I isolated too for a couple of years at first. I think many of us on the forum have isolated at some stage as part of getting through.  I can’t imagine how hard it is to completely isolate from everyone though. Baby steps and growth at your pace 💜🤗

Thank you, @suzanne and everyone. It has been so interesting and helpful to read and participate in the discussion tonight. 

Thank you @suzanne and  @Lauz for a very interesting night

and thank you everyone xoxo

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance