Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // PTSD & Post Traumatic Growth // Tues 20 Feb, 7pm AEDT

Hi @Phoenix_Rising, I haven't been able to make any kind of an in-depth study into the relationship between PTSD, C-PTSD and post-traumatic growth.  But from what I've read moderate or intermediate levels of PTSD are associated with stronger growth.  

Don't ask me exactly what 'moderate' or 'intermediate' would look like for someone but it shows that they are not mutually exclusive.  So someone diagnosed with PTSD is still likely to experience growth in some area.  

Traumas relating to early experiences are more problematic in relation to post-traumatic growth.  There are lots of reasons but one of them is that a key pathway to growth is through cognitive processing - the re-telling of events - or creating a new post-trauma narrative that starts to make sense of things.  But if events happen before we're sufficiently developed to do that, this pathway is cut off.

That's a very good point @Former-Member I have wondered many times what I might be like if one particluar trauma had not happened. I have also wondered if the previous long term abuses had influenced the liklihood that I'd become (for want a better way to put it in the time I have to think) a more likely victim. 

@Adgewrote:

I work in the caring field (Disabilities).

Although my trauma background may have made me more empathetic & caring towards others -

It also makes it much harder to be emotionally available & caring, without feeling utterly drained (each day).

Adge

@Adge I agree. From both personal experience and what I see in others in Forum Land, trauma tends to deplete our emotional resources. 

I like the idea that you fear less @soul 🙂

I think I've gained some perspective. I do sometimes have the ability to look back and think to myself how if I did that, then surely I can do this. I definitely learned what matters most in my life through my experience/s and I can see more clearly what I value and can therefore try and live in alignment with that. That to me is maybe growth.

@suzanne so that means that I may not have PTG because of my many childhood abuses and the re-telling of events is still occuring.

@suzannewrote:

Hi @Phoenix_Rising, I haven't been able to make any kind of an in-depth study into the relationship between PTSD, C-PTSD and post-traumatic growth.  But from what I've read moderate or intermediate levels of PTSD are associated with stronger growth.  

Don't ask me exactly what 'moderate' or 'intermediate' would look like for someone but it shows that they are not mutually exclusive.  So someone diagnosed with PTSD is still likely to experience growth in some area.  

Trauma's relating to early experiences are more problematic in relation to post-traumatic growth.  There are lots of reasons but one of them is that a key pathway to growth is through cognitive processing - the re-telling of events - or creating a new post-trauma narrative that starts to make sense of things.  But if events happen before we're sufficiently developed to do that, this pathway is cut off.

@suzanne That sounds right to me. From what I've read, the idea of PTG pertains to major isolated events rather than developmental trauma. 

I suppose it depends on our definition of PTG. I see it as the things we have learnt as a result of trauma - not of the consequences of trauma - and in that respect these things can become more evident for oneself at any time along their 'recovery' (and I use that term very loosely). I personally know I am more aware of the possible feelings of others as a result of my own personal feelings around multiple traumas. I also see the 'growth' of members here as they work through their own 'issues' and the realisations that they often make which is then transferred into how they help others - this to me is an example of PTG @Phoenix_Rising

Trauma is so exhausting, emotionally, mentally and physically.

and to block it for over 40 yrs and then let it all out is horrible.  I still don't understand how my body blocked it out all those years.

That point @Phoenix_Rising about what you attribute the growth to is also one of the weaknesses in the research.  You're asking for a pretty sophisticated analysis - what were these things like before the trauma and what has changed.  Very subjective.  

Not sure who posted this but they are exactly right, it's also much easier to measure when it's relating to a single trauma.  

But still, over and over again, with a huge variety of populations and types of trauma, there it is - some form of growth or improvement following the trauma.    

@CheerBearwrote:
I like the idea that you fear less @soul 🙂

I think I've gained some perspective. I do sometimes have the ability to look back and think to myself how if I did that, then surely I can do this. 

@CheerBear @soul I feel like this (in my brighter moments!!!) too. When I have to do something super scary, I remind myself that I sued a church, so I can do this thing. Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance