Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Appleblossom
Community Elder

CROSS-CULTURAL PSYCHIATRY & PSYCHOLOGY

In my current search for a pdoc ... i stumbled on a modality called "Cross-Cultural"  Its not new .. emerged in the 70s 80s ... and most likely practised by professionals from the Indian SubContinent or the African Continent.

I think some of the conversations we have had on the forum .. @Faith-and-Hope and @Decadian are 2 that come to mind, have shown that teasing out cultural issues within white Caucasion society is beneficial and to the point too.  I certainly have found it necessary to make any sense of the madness in my family ... and there is an actual "methodology" for it ... YAY

7 REPLIES 7

Re: CROSS-CULTURAL PSYCHIATRY & PSYCHOLOGY

Hi @Appleblossom

This field of psychiatry and psychology must surely echo some of the same sort of issues that revolve around cross-cultural problems in education too.

Hi @Appleblossom

Thanks for posting this - I will try and find that myself to read -

At least I am not alone in my family - and wow - what is wrong with an adopted child turning out to be of aboriginal descent

It sort of explains things - as does his having some kind of pyschosis - but tell my family this and they are up in arms about it - whereas - to me it explains a lot of things and basically - lets them of the hook

But they would rather not think about that - oh it's old news now - but not to me

Dec

Anything that sheds light on our experiences is worth it. I still think of you a lot @Decadianthough I dont always respond or post .. I feel that our inital connection regarding grief and indigenous issues went deep .. I have not yet looked at the coroner files yet .. with Christmas coming up and musical commitments in jan .. I might even wait til February .. I have just been emotionally working on other stuff .. but there will be a time when I make space for it.

Hi @Appleblossom

There is a time for all things Apple - and there will be time - there will be time (T S Eliot) time enough to reconstruct the universe - I can't remember the poem but I am sure I have a copy of it somewhere

I started reading Aboriginal Myths Fables and Legends - well all those words but maybe not in that order - the book is in my bedroom and I am in the lounge and ... anyway - I read about the Rainbow Serpent being mostly of water and women near the time of childbirth being kept near the fires to keep them safe at such a vulnerable time. I am ready to read more - I am looking forward to reading more.

This country is becoming more and more multi-cultural - I am not bothered much by it and I was brought up in an Anglo-Celtic family so prejudiced and bigoted I am surprised that I am not that way myself. There must be a lot in the subject though - stacks - because basically people do not understand one another

I could write more but it's way to early on a Monday morning to be so erudite - I have to get the day in order -

We shall work on this subject - because there will be time

Dec

Hi

Concerned with the cultural context of mental disorders and the challenges of addressing ethnic diversity in psychiatric services, what are the benefits and how can it help me 🙂 

not sure if you have had any ethnic differences to manage in your private life @Matt12

It was huge in my family ... Euro, Asian Sth American & Aussie

made for lots of different styles of relating .. capacity for misunderstanding .. different norms and expectations .. talk about it with therapist maybe

Concepts of family of origin and family of creation ..

Thanks for the feedback, your making assumptions that ethnic differences relate only to my private life, it’s my understanding that we live is a mutual cultural society in Aus, I have work with many different ethic back grounds. People have said to me what country you from many times, I also say some country as you Australia

I have seen the good, bad and ugly within the mix, my point is I would appreciated any tips with the concept to add my recovery.

Thanks for your support J

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance