Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Re: Do you know any national services that are great?

Hi there @whitedog,

I have heard good things about Grow and their support groups. I've heard that some of them are more of a program for a certain amount of weeks so it might be worth clarifying that when you enquire.

Lunar

hey @Lunar,

that's good to hear. A few weeks is still a long enough time to get some benefit. I'll check them out. 

🙂

Hi @Lunar

I attended Grow decades ago, no length of time applied, just show up to meetings. Different people would come and go, some stayed a long time, many were there when I started, still there when I left.

Hi @whitedog

How about listing all the ones you have found so far, would be a logical way to tackle this, instead of just asking.

After all, we have no idea what you have, so you'd end up with heaps of repeats. Layout of Sane isn't that fantastic for quick maneuvering in the site. 😉

hey @BlueBells

thanks for your feedback. It's good to hear the Grow group can be flexible. I will certainly check it out. 

Repeats are okay, I'm interested in hearing what is useful for individuals. Someone may find a resource useful, but others might not. 

🙂

@whitedog

I mean.......... please list what you have already found, as there may be others who are interested as well.

It's the way of sharing, you know, goes both ways, you are receiving info, but at the same time , give to the discussion as well.

Do you get what I mean?

Grow, it is an open discussion / support group. Again, you will need to share to really get much out of it.

@BlueBells

Well I've heard of many people who have found the SMART recovery program and National Callback Service to be hidden gems. I really like both of these resources. 

I personally like the SmilingMind mindfulness app and am using it regularly. 

I would also just like to add that it is great to share, but if you (or anyone else) doesn't feel comfortable sharing, that's okay too. 

🙂

hey @whitedog 🙂

I'm happy to share, no probs there 😉 I'm limited to Grow, Blueboard and Sane, so that's not much, as you know two, and one is closed 😞

It just seemed that you were making a list, and I figured a list here would be great for everyone to add to 😉

Hugs 🙂 🙂 🙂

hey @BlueBells,

I'm kinda making a list but am kinda not... There are plenty of lists out there. But there are also some very dodgy services out there too. I've seen many lists only to later find out that some of the services were cancelled. 

I just would like to find out if there are any services out there that are really good. 

Hi whitedog

The town I live in is very conservative and traditional and I feel for this reason 'the powers that be aren't forthcoming with taking on change. Accepting suggestions for service improvement and advertising health care services in the area of drug rehabilitation?? Good luck! I think there's possibly more concern over the image of the town and maintaining the tourism industry.

I've been to our Information Centre and offered suggestions on advertising social groups, craft groups etc, thinking I've lived here all my life and don't know many of them and it would be helpful to new residents. However they simply didn't want to know.

That's why I suggested starting with a GP. Word of mouth in the town your in may be a possibility. Keeping an eye on local newspapers is another thing, I've known anxiety and depression workshops advertised this way.

Mental Illness Fellowship in your state is something I would highly recommend. They're a really good support service. Also, staff have a wealth of information on all sorts of things including services in the area. The staff are very approachable, empathetic and caring and knowledgeable.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance