Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Former-Member
Not applicable

NEW WORD TODAY

ONTOLOGICAL
ontological [on-tl-oj-i-kuh l], adjective
1.of or relating to ontology, the branch of metaphysics that studies the nature of existence or being as such;
metaphysical: some of the U.S. founders held an ontological belief in natural rights...
64 REPLIES 64

Re: NEW WORD TODAY

Love it Tawney ... That one used to do my head in. Philosophy tied itself up in knots with big words ... that's why it is good to have a discipline re number of words and number of letters ... I know I can rave on ... or seem abrupt ... still trying to find the right verbal length and quality ... Dear mods still many forum glitches ,,, 'not authenticated' pages coming up and not allowing me to like. Also it seems a site problem as it usually happens when the "quick reply" and "like" buttons are reversed on the screen .. I know when I see that ... it is going to be frustrating ...
Former-Member
Not applicable

Here's an easy one
CHORTLE 'tʃɔːt(ə)l/Submit, verb
1. Laugh in a noisy, gleeful way.
"he chortled at his own execrable pun"
synonyms: chuckle, laugh, giggle, titter, tee-hee, snigger; guffaw, cackle, crow
"pleased with his joke, Robert chortled and slapped his thigh"
noun: . Noisy, gleeful laugh.
"Thomas gave a chortle"
_____

EXECRABLE
ˈɛksɪkrəb(ə) adjective
Extremely bad or unpleasant.
"execrable cheap wine"
synonyms: appalling, awful, dreadful, terrible, frightful, atrocious, very bad, lamentable; disgusting, deplorable, disgraceful, reprehensible, shameful, abominable, abhorrent, loathsome, odious, heinous, hateful, detestable, despicable, foul, vile, scandalous, contemptible, repugnant, repellent, revolting, unspeakable, wretched; informalabysmal, diabolical, shocking, rotten, woeful, lousy, dire, the pits, God-awful, tenth-rate; informalchronic, pants, a load of pants; vulgar slangcrap, shit; rareegregious
"an execrable piece of work"

Former-Member
Not applicable

Former-Member
Not applicable

paradigm
ˈparədʌɪm/
noun
plural noun: paradigms
a typical example or pattern of something; a pattern or model.
"society's paradigm of the ‘ideal woman’"
LINGUISTICS
a set of linguistic items that form mutually exclusive choices in particular syntactic roles.
"English determiners form a paradigm: we can say ‘a book’ or ‘his book’ but not ‘a his book’"
Former-Member
Not applicable

NAMASTE
Namaste (/ˈnɑːməsteɪ/, nah-məs-tay).
Is a respectful form of greeting. The gesture is widely used throughout India, Nepal, parts of Asia and beyond where people of South and Southeast Asian origins have migrated. 
Namaste or namaskar acknowledges and welcomes a relative, guest or stranger. It is used with good byes as well. In some contexts, namaste is used by one person to express gratitude for assistance offered or given, and to thank the other person for his or her generous kindness.
Namaste is usually spoken with a slight bow and hands pressed together, palms touching and fingers pointing upwards, thumbs close to the chest. This gesture is called Añjali Mudrā  or  Pranamasana.  In Hinduism it means
"I BOW TO THE DIVINE IN YOU".
The greeting may also be spoken without the gesture or the gesture performed wordlessly, carrying the same meaning.
______

Love this word
Former-Member
Not applicable

SCHMOOZE
v. schmoozed, schmooz•ing, 
n. Slang. v.i.
1. to chat idly; gossip.
2. an idle conversation; chat.
schmooz′er
Making ingratiating small talk – talk that is business oriented, designed to both provide and solicit personal information but avoids overt pitching. Most often an artifact of “networking.” It is more art than science but can be learned.
Former-Member
Not applicable

SCOTOMA
A scotoma is an area of partial alteration in the field of vision consisting of a partially diminished or entirely degenerated visual acuity that is surrounded by a field of normal – or relatively well-preserved – vision.
Every normal mammal eye has a scotoma in its field of vision, usually termed its BLIND SPOT - 'THE MINS SEES WHAT IT WANTS TO SEE' - altered / inaccurate visual perception.
Former-Member
Not applicable

TROLLING / INTERNET TROLL
In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion, often for their own amusement.

Here's a useful one to look up @Former-Member

DICHOTOMY It's a good one but I find having to look up the meaning of a word myself makes me remember it which is why I'm leaving you to do the work. 😉
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance