Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Need your feedback on our latest factsheet

Hi there,

We have recently published a new factsheet on mindfulness. We are really keen to get your feedback on it.

You can read it here

We would like to know:

1.       Is the information easy to understand?

2.       Is there any language that is jarring or confusing?

3.       Did anything about the way we presented mindfulness put you off trying it?

4.       Is there anything missing that you’d like to know more about?

We'd love to hear from you - regardless of whether you have ever tried mindfulness or not.

The deadline is Friday 20 Jan!

Looking forward to getting your feedback 🙂

Nik

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Need your feedback on our latest factsheet

Yes, very easy to understand

I would have liked the introduction/1st sentence to be a bit more descriptive, from the info presented here, I'm not too sure what mindfulness is. 

The warning section does worry me personally, but my doctor gave me the same advice. 

This might be a stupid question, but how do I keep my mind focused on my senses/breath? 

I really like the links to the apps and the books. 

Hi NikNik,
thanks for involving us and asking for feedback on the new Mindfulness Factsheet. Its pretty good but here's my responses.

1. Is the information easy to understand?
- YES

2. Is there any language that is jarring or confusing?
- NO

3. Did anything about the way we presented mindfulness put you off trying it?
- A BIT - only the wishywashy intro+ which I have made a couple of suggestions for below.

4. Is there anything missing that you’d like to know more about?
- YES, THE BREATH, GROUNDING TECHNIQUES & PTSD

Suggestion 1 (paragraph 2)
Practising mindfulness can help put you in touch with your feelings, thoughts, and sensations as they occur, which we so often tune out, and teaches us the process of acknowledgement and acceptance without judgement. This has the surprising affect of reducing their impact and strengthening us to not be overwhelmed by them.

Suggestion 2 (The myths)
Mindfulness is not religious or mystical, it can be incorporated as part of a spiritual practice, but being mindful itself is a practical life technique anyone can use any time.
Kind Regards
T

Hi Nik

1.       Is the information easy to understand?

YES - delivered well using simple language

YES - Mystical. What's the inference? Omit and perhaps reconsider introducing a sentance that supports a persons spiritual/religious choice perhaps? EG the benefits or enhancements of?

3.       Did anything about the way we presented mindfulness put you off trying it?

NO

4.       Is there anything missing that you’d like to know more about?

NO

Well done to all involved Nik!

Hi NikNik,

I found the factsheet interesting, informative and motivational, reminding me (once again) that I need to learn more about this!

I was slightly confused by the statement ending:

"...when you’re waiting for the kettle to boil or the conditioner to work."

I don't have an air-conditioner, but I first thought of sitting there in the stifling summer heat waiting for the air-conditioner to start working, and trying a little mindfulness.

Then I thought of the way my wife uses hair-conditioner, as she puts it in and leaves it for some time to do its work, sometimes daily. Perhaps that is what was meant?

Only slightly confusing, and that is probably just me Smiley Very Happy

for me on my own journey of recovery and moving through depression which is just a spiritual wake up call, a growing pain, it was essential that I gain mastery of my mind. Mindfullness is one way, meditation another. I beleieve the secret lies in everyone finding what works for them for after all "All are Unique, all are equal and all are soveriegn"

How i achieved the stillness of mind is to treat it like my puppy dog, when it gets feisty I throw it a stick, give it a job to do, and off it goes tail wagging having had some attention from it's master. for me "My mind is just a tool that I use when I choose" and you may quote me on that!

it wasn't untill I silenced my mind that I could finally hear ME!

Love B

@NikNik wrote:

Hi there,

We have recently published a new factsheet on mindfulness. We are really keen to get your feedback on it.

You can read it here

We would like to know:

1.       Is the information easy to understand? Yes and No . it could focus a bit more on what 'mindfulness' actually is. Perhaps reading assuming no prior knowledge whatsoever(me) and does it really need hundreds of words to say we suggest trying 'take a few breathes and be aware of your surroundings' because it can help settle your mind and thinking?

3.       Did anything about the way we presented mindfulness put you off trying it?  A. not very precise?

Perhaps start with a would you/do you statement to 'sell it', then a here's a simple solution, or perhaps a title like A Simple Solution for ..then go mindfulness .. and no, I'm not a copywriter , just had a couple coffees lol, and well, you asked Cat Tongue

4.       Is there anything missing that you’d like to know more about?  A. that would assume 'prior knowledge' ??.. And no I havent consciously told myself was doing 'mindfulness, although have done same thing in the past without the name. I have googled it before having seen people on here talking about it and was left not the much wiser, so I guess there is a need for an explanation 

We'd love to hear from you - regardless of whether you have ever tried mindfulness or not.

The deadline is Friday 20 Jan!

Looking forward to getting your feedback 🙂

Nik

Smiley Happy

Hi @NikNik,

I agree with what some of the others here have said; the introduction needs to be more informative.

Something like:

"The practice of mindfulness involves bringing your conscious awareness to focus on the present moment, in calm, open and non-judgemental manner.  Any emotions or thoughts that you experience in the present moment are allowed to exist, while being observed and accepted in a relaxed and self-aware state. The practice is simple, can be done almost anywhere and can be incorporated into your day in as little as 1 minute at a time. 

The purpose of Mindfulness is not to rid yourself of negative emotions, but to accept them and feel a degree of peacefulness and calmness, regardless of what is going on in your life."

...Or..

Something like:

"Mindfulness is being in the moment. Take time out to breathe while reflecting on any nagging thoughts and emotions calmly. Having nagging thoughts and feeling emotions is okay. They are not 'You" and are just there to be observed and accepted openly in a calm state.

This is a simple exercise but can be very powerful. It only takes minutes and can be done anywhere

Ok I repeated 'nagging' still same meaning and less than 1/3 of the words lol @Sahara
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance