Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Surf
Casual Contributor

Peer Workers in Alcohol and Drug Services

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone here has experienced peer work in AoD servcies and what that looked like? AA and NA have been involved in this for almost a centuary, but other than that, here in my part of queensland it doesn't seem to be happening within either clinical or community services. I have been trying to address this. i'm not too sure how I'm doing, but will carry on anyway 😉 

I have a lived experience of both mh and aod issues. they go hand in hand for many people, yet  current feedback and exerience has informed me that if you so much as even mention that you may have smoked a joint last week end when you present as a suicide to ED, well theres no room for you at the mh inn so to speak. 

Apart from this, and lets face it theres no room in mh servces for people who have never used any drugs a lot of the time too, I also firmly beleive and  witness daily the strengths and effectiveness that experienced peer support can add to aod services.

What are peoples thoughts on this? Is it just qld that doesnt value peer work in aod ? can anyone point me in the direction of succsessful services or groups that are contributing in this way to peoples recovery?

Thanks 🙂

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Peer Workers in Alcohol and Drug Services

Hi @Surf

I think peer work in mental health settings is so critical.

Off the top of my head, I don't know of any AoD specific organisations, but one mental health organisation that does peer work exceptionally well is Flourish I'm not sure if they have any services in your part of QLD - but I think they are a great example of an organisation doing peer work effectively.

I hope you keep on pursuing this! I think it will become more and more common across Australia, particularly with the introduction to the Cert. IV in Peer Support now offered in TAFEs.

Nik

big question ? there are no clear answers...peers can be anyone your trust that has a understading of your needs and empathy of the process..the "professionals" can at times place the individual in a box as it's an easy option......I have found no peer support at all and will die a slow death without it.

Hi @Matt12
Are you okay tonight? These Forums are a great place to get peer support. If you're looking for support from peers tonight, I'd encourage you to jump into the Forums and start a new discussion or contribute to pre-exisiting discussion.

I hope you're doing okay.
Take care

@NikNik Thankyou. I am lucky to have a 100% peer operated Flourish service in my town. We are collaborative 🙂 

@Matt12 R U OK ? 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance