Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

smiley2
Contributor

Receiving Support

I just wanted to share my recent experiences with wonderful organisation MIFWA Mental Illness Fellowship here in WA I was recommended Sane and Beyond Blue as I was so desperate for support. I have recently joined a support group MI Recovery which meets weekly with others who have a lived experience of mental illness and all the facilitators of the program have had or still experience challenges of a mental illness. The group is caring , supportive and confidential and everyone empathises with one another.At times I find it isolating living with my condition, the depression and anxiety can be overwhelming and at times I do want to be alone as it feels to painful to talk about, yet to know there are others who are willing to share their challenges and their positive achievements is so helpful . We are all human and sometimes to have people who we can relate to really can make a difference just like these forums.MIFWA may be available in othe states but under a different title please reach out to a support service where you can share with others. In such programs like MI Recovery you look at several issues such as the stigma of mental illness,ways to move forward , ways to assist recovery, ways to prevent relapse and support systems.I feel thatthe medical system and psychologists and psychiatrists really need to promote thes services to improve the wellbeing of those experiencing mental illness. To receive that support of all the people who work at MIFWA and the support workers who have assisted me at a time where I really was desperate has made me feel maybe I am worthy. So please don't feel alone enquire about a support group/ service in your community as this can make all the difference to your well being.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Receiving Support

Well written and informative. MI needs all the help sufferers can accommodate. Should be a priority by Govt authorities.
Bimby2

Hi @smiley2

Thank you SO much for sharing that 🙂 it's great to hear a good news story.

Nik

Thank you for appreciating my post on MI recovery programs offered through MIFWA as I the program and support workers have offered me a lifeline and can help others too.

Thank you for reading my post on MI Recovery program offered by MIFWA as I wanted to share how the support workers offered me hope when I have been really faced with challenges that left me so alone.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance