Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

greenpea
Senior Contributor

What song or piece of poetry gets you up in the morning and why and why it makes you never ever give up

I was wondering what song or piece of poetry got everyone up and going in the morning when they feel the weight of their mi on their shoulders. What makes them keep trying and never giving up. Mine is U2 'Where the streets have no name'. The lyrics are inspirational they make my mind literally spin in circles like a whirlwind but not out of control like a tornado. They make me want to fly above the ground and never stop. To keep running and to never, ever give up. Never give up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FsrPEUt2Dg

Where the Streets Have No Name (The Joshua Tree, 1987) Where the Streets Have No Name is a song by U2, from their 1987 album, The Joshua Tree. It peaked at #14 in Canada, #10 in The Netherlands and #4 in the United Kingdom. The song became a staple of live shows, being played 645 times at 642 ...
6 REPLIES 6

Re: What song or piece of poetry gets you up in the morning and why and why it makes you never ever give up

I want to thank you for this @greenpea. The timing was amazing for me. I’ve listened/watched that video two times, always been a fan of u2 anyway. I think they have a few really uplifting songs. 

So I watched two songs that were recommended in the comments section but they didn’t measure up. Then I went on a mission to find my song. There is only two albums that I’ve ever listened to that have been able to lift my mood. Ironically I haven’t listened to either for a very long time. I love this fusion of music and most of the messages in it. 

Feel free to skip this next paragraph, I copied and pasted. It’s a summary of the project which was done in 2008. 

One Giant Leap have created a unique music, TV and film project. What About Me? is the culmination of 4 years work visiting 50 global locations collecting wisdom and musical jewels. It's an inspiring and alarming look at our collective insanity: how we are ego-driven, needy in relationships, insatiable in desire, addicted to status, wounded by childhood and unable to stop thinking, but how we still manage to be inspired and creative. The backbone of the project is the music that One Giant Leap make. They start with pre-composed backing tracks in a laptop studio. The music grows as each layer is added, seamlessly mixing international stars like Alanis Morissette, KD Lang and Michael Franti, with Bedouin Musicians, Chinese rappers, Gabonese Pygmies, Tuvan throat singers, Egyptian folk musicians, Japanese taiko drummers, and also the royalty of today's world music scene including Baaba Maal, Lila Downs, Rokia Traore, Oumou Sangare, Zap Mama, all expanding on the same One Giant Leap musical vision. While Duncan & Jamie sought out wisdom from the likes of Noam Chomsky, Eckhart Tolle & Stephen Fry and the cream of the worlds thinkers, writers, and entertainers they also met many people just getting on with their lives - gravediggers, taxi drivers, brain surgeon's, street kids. Unscripted, with no storyboard, these conversations all reveal how we are connected not only through our creativity and our beliefs but most of all through our madness! When Duncan & Jamie left on their global journey they thought they were in control but how could they predict what would happen.

The song I chose to post was the first song I fell in love with. I still love it  

https://youtu.be/a1XMSWPf5zU

Thinking @eth might like some of it too if you haven’t heard of it. Heads up it’s creators and some of the artists were into rap but it’s more spoken word than rap in most songs with a huge fusion of world music. 

@greenpea I have so much admiration and respect for you. Thank you for helping me out in such a huge positive way. I so needed this today 😘

💜🤗

Re: What song or piece of poetry gets you up in the morning and why and why it makes you never ever give up

@Teej Thanks Teej what a kind and super nice thing to say. I will keep your words in my pocket for when I really need them :Dxxxx ps: love the song very cute and bouncy 🙂

Hi I have a couple of options,

For a song -The sound of silence.

As strange as it may seem even when my children were toddlers this song calmed them when played in the car

For a poem (more a verse really)well its one I wrote many years ago so I guess this is a plug ....he he

I watch as strangers become friends

• and friends become memories
  • and the wheels of time roll on

with the thoughts of today becoming the wisdom or yesterday

I’m not sure why however I find that it takes me to the place I was when I wrote in and that was a peaceful time in my life … lightning ridge looking for opals ….eat sleep and dig life was simple

I need to add that I was heavily influenced by an Australian author Nan Witcomb who wrote -the thoughts of nanushka

Thanks for the tag @Teej and Hi!  I love being introduced to new music that has a positive message and is ethnically connected.  The name Braided Hair reminded me of http://icss.org/lineage/  the twisted hair society  - a bit out there to some no doubt but part of my journey at one time.Twisted Hairs” refers to those who take knowledge from many sources and weave it together, synthesizing and formulating “braids of truth.” Over time, these “braids” are tried and tested.  A good reminder, thankyou.  Listening to more of 1 Giant Leap as I write.  

Great idea for a thread @greenpea.  Lately my morning music has been 'Eyes of a Child' by Tok Pan Tok after a long period of not listening to music at all.  Beautiful melodies and a wide range of instruments.  It's been posts here on the forums that got me listening again.  Love anything by Xavier Rudd and the United Nations too.  Inspiring.

Hello @Troy  I did some time at the Ridge too.  The wild frontier!  Welcome to the forums.  Nice words.  There's a thread 'Writing as a Form of Therapy' you might like to visit.  @Silenus writes amazing stuff and anyone else is welcome to post there too.

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,When the funds are low and the debts are high,And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,When care is pressing you down a bit-Rest if you must, but don't you quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns, As every one of us sometimes learns,And many a fellow turns aboutWhen he might have won had he stuck it out.Don't give up though the pace seems slow -You may succeed with another blow.

Often the goal is nearer than It seems to a faint and faltering man;Often the struggler has given upWhe he might have captured the victor's cup;And he learned too late when the night came down,How close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out - The silver tint in the clouds of doubt,And you never can tell how close you are,It might be near when it seems afar;So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit -It's when things seem worst that you must not quit.

Apologies it didn't come out very well but when I was not yet estranged from my family, I was given this poem by my aunt. I've since then kept it in my wallet on a credit card sized piece of paper.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance