Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Scared: intense voices.

Last night I was hearing intense voices and the feeling I did before I went into a psychosis. Called an ambo and went to hospital they sent me home and told me to get in contact with my psych but she's not there today. I have an appointment with my gp tonight. I hope he can help me because I can't cope with it. I'm on a lot of medication and it's still happening. I don't want to go back to hospital for 5 weeks for psychosis. I have a life to lead. I am feeling scared.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Scared: intense voices.

@Former-Member I am so glad you know you have a life to lead.

Most of the people in the MH field who I respect admit that medication does not stop the voices.  Medication just takes the edge off while we work things out.

Try and find some ways that you can manage them. It may not be possible to stop them completely.

Some people think it is misleading to call anti-psychotic medication by that label, so I have started calling them neuroleptics or mood stabilisers etc etc. 

Use whatever strategies that work for you to get to your appointments.

Thinking of you @Former-Member

Hi Hope32, I think you are amazing- wanting to stay out of hospital because you have a life to lead - good on you. When I am climbing the walls I play country music (I know,cringe but I love it) so I'm sure you have something as your thing. Hope the GP tonight is good. In my experience GPs are an empathetic lot - and maybe your psych could tweak your meds- I go and plead and mine does. Take care, thinking of you 🤗

Hi @Former-Member

Sorry to hear that you are hearing such frightening voices AND that you are having difficulty accessing  support from the medical system.

I hope that your GP can help you in some way. Even just voicing your concerns to a sympathetic ear can help.

I have struggled with similar feelings of fear which can turn to hopelessness when your concerns don't seem to be addressed. Unfortunately, finding the right combination of medication to alleviate your symptoms can take time and also change over time. In my experience the symptoms never disappear entirely, but I am working on ways to manage them.

It is completely natural that you are feeling afraid. I am thinking of you and sending positive vibes.  

B_G

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thank you everyone for your reply. I got in contact with and got an appointment with my psych for tomorrow.

hi @Former-Member

i know this is an old post but are you going with it now

good i hope

the only reason im asking is that i hear voices and they alway scare me, well one of them does. iv just had a antipyschotic med change and there not as yet. what helped you with the voices 

thank bubbles

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi bubbles. Unfortunately I'm still hearing them. I've recently been put on more medication. Hoping it works soon because they are driving me nuts.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Day 4 of intense "mind control" voices. My warning signs are that it happens just before I go into a psychosis and I'm scared. I have had my meds increased and I guess now I have to hope for the best.

hi @Former-Member

how are you going now

mark was around yesterday but not here todsy yet

kelly has been around but she is friendly

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi bubbles. Still hearing voices. This will be day 5. It's not normal for me. Hoping they settle down soon. Hope you are ok.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance