Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

LJC1
Contributor

postpartum pschosis

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone is able to help me out.

In November last year, i experienced an inorganic psychotic episode. It happened when my youngest son turned about 3 months old. I guess this would be called Postpartum psychosis. I have since been on an antipschotic drug. Since the episode, I have also been experiencing a large amount of anxiety which I am now on an antideppressant  for.

I am wondering if anyone else has been put on medication and found that they experienced any side effects such as restless legs, anxiousness and inability to sit still?

Also, how long did your recovery take until you were able to feel better? For me, feeling better would be when I dont feel anxious most of the day.

I have not yet met anyone who has had a psychotic episode so it's all very new to me.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Re: postpartum pschosis

Hi @LJC1 I have Schizoaffective disorder so i have had quite a few psychotic episodes/experiences i often feel very anxious and shaken up after a bad episode and i still find it very hard to accept that i ever was psychotic but i am trying to come to terms with it. i have had many side effects from medications some worse than others. try working out with your doctors a medication that gives you this least uncomfortable side effects. sometimes that means trying a few. as for how long recovery takes that depends on the person and the condition.... maybe talk to your doctor about that as well. good luck 🙂

Hey there @LJC1, in the past I have taken some antipsychotics which have caused a condition called Akathisia (the inability to sit still) caused by the use of antipsychotic medication. I would be talking to your doctor about these side effects you are experiencing. I simply changed medication and the symptoms of Akathisia went away soon after. 

I live with schizoaffective disorder and still to this day take antipsychotic medication to challenge psychosis.

Thank you Eden1919. I willbe asking my gp about the side effects when I see her next. I didnt realise there were others out there to treat psychosis. I feel I am just entering a stage where I am functioning enough to do daily activities but I feel very overwhelmed each morning. Hopefully as time goes on ill be able to feel better some mornings. Thanks!

It comforts me knowing others have experienced Akathisia too. Thank you for sharing Queenie.

I am also seeking experiences from other women who have experienced postpartum psychosis. What was your journey? Did recovery take a long time? Thanks
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance