Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Dec's Guide to the Night Sky for Amateur Astromomers - including Melbourne weather

I just used my smart-phone @Shaz51 

I did have a camera for a long time and I could take pics and it was great - I still have a lot of those pics in my very old laptop.

But I did take pics of those planets over several days and it was interesting watching Jupiter catch up and actually pass Mars - and soon Saturn will pass Mars too

I am really passionate about the solar system - I have been for decades now

Dec

Here Jupiter and Mars are really close together with Saturn following and the crescent moon is just risingHere Jupiter and Mars are really close together with Saturn following and the crescent moon is just rising

Re: Dec's Guide to the Night Sky for Amateur Astromomers - including Melbourne weather

Thanks @Jo-anneJoy 

There are more similiar photos of those planets on this thread - and it's time I posted another -

March was a great month for watching those three plants - the night skies were clear for excellent photos

This one was taken in March - 2020 - it's Mercury rising - it's usually hard to even find this littel planet and really lucky to catch it in a photo and when the picture is expanded it shows it in a crescent - the actual phase it was in at that time.

The solar system is endlessly interesting to me and I just finished a huge jigsaw of the solar system - it took 9 days and really kept me busy

Dec

@Shaz51 @Gazza75 @Ali11 @utopia @outlander 

Mercury risingMercury rising

I do family history research and one of my ancestors in the 17th century,

was a Quaker and amateur astronomer.  His built his son an observatory -

so jealous -  I only got a cubby house.

Hi @Jo-anneJoy 

My father built us a play house out of packing crates - I would have loved an observatory too - how great that would have been.

And an ancestor who was a Quaker and an amateur astronomer - that's a gret historical family fact 

And cubby house v observatory - no argument - observatory every time - yes please

My Dad was interested in astronomy and taught me a lot - I guess my hobby was fired early in life - 

Dec

Hi @Jo-anneJoy @Shaz51 @Gazza75 @Ali11 @utopia 

I went outside on Saturday morning I think - and it was fairly bright but just before sunrise and I saw Jupiter, Saturn and Mars overhead and very clear in a perfect sky - and it was a lucky moment because right then a satellite passed over and moved quickly - and I was grateful for that moment and hopeful too that it is a good sign

Jupiter and Saturn are moving across the sky together - Mars is tagging behind - on a clear evening it's easy to see Jupiter and Saturn rising - Mars rises later - but this happens earlier every evening and then they are visible every clear evening

This little cluster of planets is a unusual and won't happen again in my  lifetime - though Jupiter and Saturn will get closer together during the next few months

Dec

soo interesting @Owlunar Heart

Hello @Jo-anneJoy@Ali11@utopia 

the moon was very bright the other night  shinning through  the window lightening up the whole room 

Indeed it was @Shaz51  and as an astrologer, I can tell you it was a Full Moon in Scorpio.

Smiley Very Happy

Hi to all my astronomy peeps

This is a rare photo - a moonbow - which does sometimes signify rain to come but tonight I think it's probably clear because of the frost in the astmosphere

The halo around the moon was complete but didn't come out as well in the photo and no - I am not going outside in my jimjams again - 

I don't know how the pic with come out in the post but the filters I added actually faintly showed the colours of a rainbow

Dec

moonbowmoonbow

Hi @Owlunar 

Can you tell me what planet I'm seeing in the night sky? 

North East.  Around 6.30 7 00 am. Very bright.  No other stars near it. 

Hi @utopia 

It's great to see you 

That planet you can see early in the mornings is Venus - it's rising at 4.45am atm and earler each day 

It's really  brilliant right now and great to see

Dec 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance