Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Dec's Guide to the Night Sky for Amateur Astromomers - including Melbourne weather

Yes @Owlunar i agree with the relationships💜💜
Sorry qeeta @Former-Member 💚💚💚 don't ever doubt yourself 💛💛 your amazing 💛

Re: Dec's Guide to the Night Sky for Amateur Astromomers - including Melbourne weather

I am so relieved @outlander, @Owlunar 🙂 I really can't enjoy the stars tonight, complete cloud cover here still, which if it continues even another day, will really bother my solar systems 😞 (lucky I fought the generator the other day 🙂 )

@Owlunar@Former-Member@outlander@Former-Member@utopia

Absolutely love this thread, I'm an astronomy nut too!  We have an 8inch telescope which is great,  astronomy excites my imagination as to what could be out there.  I have forgotton a lot of terminology but when we bought our telescope about 15 years ago we got a free 1 day astronomy course at an observatory which was fantastic.  We are actually saving now for another telescope what they call point and look so you can take anywhere, the one we have is very cumbersome and its on a very heavy tripod.

Unfortunately here in SA its been pretty cloudy lately at night, early hours it gets clear but too late as I need to get up for work.  

Not sure if any of you have seen the jewel box, it looks via naked eye just like a bright star but if you look with telescope and maybe binoculars you see its made up of so many stars.  We came upon it by accident just exploring " dark bits"  in the sky with the telescope and it was abosolutely beautiful. see below.

location jewel box.jpg

The jewel box when you look through telescope

jewel box.jpg

It is amazing how everyone cares for each other here and I love it too - we do developing intense relationships here - and this is fantastic --- I agree @Change123, @Owlunar, @Former-Member, @outlander, @Former-Member

it is very cloudy up here today / tonight

wow we have a beautiful view of the sky up here as there are no street lights. we are in SA too @Change123

@Shaz51 so very well put xxx

Those are fabulous pics that people posted here - anyone can feel free to do this - I found some on line but they were hyper-text and for some reason I could not post them in this site

And yes @outlander - you did post the Big Dipper from the Northern Hemisphere

Tonight we have a full moon - nothing new to report - it's a bit cloudy but I could see a few stars/planets - but that moon - it's glorious

I love those pics - I missed them - I glad people posted them - I will see what I can find - maybe I can find some with the Jpeg which I have no trouble posting here

Dec

The moon is often so beautiful esp when its full abd a clear night @Owlunar

Yes - it's a beautiful moon out there

I have found some pics of Orion I can post with the Jpeg - so here goes

Orion.jpgAh Brilliant - this is how Orion appears to us - upside down but Sirius or the Dog/Wolf Star isn't visible in this one - I can tell people the names of the four outer stars if anyone wants to know

And - this is Orion up the right way - and I think I had better post it and see it now

Orion 2.jpgoh wow - it is so little - and this is stylized partly - but you can see the bow in this one - but not the sword - or Sirius

But at least I was able to post these

Dec

Hi @Owlunar@outlander@Former-Member@Shaz51@Former-Member

For those that are interested there is a comet in early June that everyone should be able to see especially with binocluars.  I believe you can see it now but thats when it will be at its brightest. Its in the Taurus constellation - see link below.

Was very cloudy and COLD last night in SA but there was this huge halo around the full moon from the cold sky, looked great!

Happy star gazing everyone!

https://in-the-sky.org/news.php?id=20170605_18_100

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance