Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: sRe: Topic Tuesday // ADHD // Tuesday 22nd February, 7:00- 8:30PM AEDT

@Paperdaisy wrote:

Question 4: What are some of the positives about having ADHD?

Because my memory is pretty bad, sometimes if I leave enough time between viewings, it can be like I’m watching a movie again for the first time!! 😜

I also once had a GP explain to me that before the advent of agriculture, there may have been a much higher ratio of folks with ADHD, as it is more suited to a hunter-gatherer life. Being easily distracted makes it easier to spot threats by focusing on movement, or colour – which also makes it easier to spot food like berries. Being compelled to be always on the move is much more suited to persistence predation, the primary way humans used to hunt. So, when it became more lucrative to be able to sit around waiting for crops, and to be able to plan months ahead to know when to reap and sew, is it any wonder the ‘neurotypical’ type brains became more abundant, as they had more access to food and resources?

As such, I am great at spotting wild animals, relish in going on spontaneous adventures, and have an ability to ‘keep my cool’ in emergency situations. I have a tendency to 'think outside the box' and I can often come up with creative solutions to problems. 

I also seem to flourish in chaos! 😈

Re: Topic Tuesday // ADHD // Tuesday 22nd February, 7:00- 8:30PM AEDT

my son really doesnt like to take his medication and says that he doesnt like how it makes him. but without it he struggles so much and cant get dressed independnently etc. findit hard to feel like am forcing him to have something that he hates so much right now. but one day it will have to be his decisions.

One of the good things to come out of my recent diagnosis is talking with my sister about it, and her telling me that she has self-diagnosed as ASD. 

We've had a couple of great conversations about the ways our brains work and how other people respond to that, in our family, work, relationships... 

I'm really glad that my sister and I can talk about our neurodivergence and give each other emotional support 

@Jynx There is a whole podcast on the hunter gatherer connection with adhd. My son loved being able to see a biological connection. It’s called “The drummer and the great mountain”

Very true @Teej , @Jynx 

Stuf and projects everywhere,  as a step mum  and Wife 

And I can see it in my step D1 lately 

That’s really cool about your new connection with your sister @greenspace  💜

@Millieme that must be a really tough position for you to be in, seeing the role and impact for him in the positive, but also knowing he doesn't want to take the medication. Have you spoken with your son's doctor about all his medication options? There are quite a few different options out there, and lots of emerging treatments too. I am hoping your son can find an option that works for him Heart 

My step S 2 has become a chef through his ADHD,  soo proud of him and a lot of hard work @Paperdaisy , @Jynx 

I'll be checking out that podcast @Teej 😁

That's so lovely @Shaz51 💝

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance